Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

5 posters

Downtime 5 - Sun

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 Empty Re: Downtime 5 - Sun

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:10 am

"At least Mahjong isn't so noisy, and old people are nice and kind! I'll go look around there."
    Sun offers the random stranger more chewing gum, before leaving for the Mahjong place.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:48 am

Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 70-702892_2suuankou-mahjongThe mahjong parlor is easy enough to find. Several old men with cigarettes sit around a table, placing the large tiles in front of them. As they finish, the tiles are swallowed by the table, shuffled and redistributed automatically. No one seems to pay much attention to Sun and this place is most certainly a lot quieter than pachinko. As he watches people come and go, he notices that any of the younger folk who visit the establishment come to the bathroom. None stick around to play mahjong, they just go to the bathroom. He doesn't see anyone leave the bathroom though until he notices a woman with a shaved head and moxibustion scars on her forehead step out from the bathroom. Sun recognizes moxibustion scars as the mark of a monk who has achieved full enlightenment. However, there are supposed to be 2 sets of three of them. She only appears to have 2 sets of two.Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 Npc_humanmale_hub_spidershen
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:08 am

Sun walks up to the lady.
    "Excuse me, miss. I'm Sun Dashou, from the monastery on the Xiao mountain. I was sent to Mingmei for enlightenment. So far, all I've found, were axe-wielding people in white with weird tattoos, cannibalistic orks, and similar. I couldn't help but notice you're a lady of the cloth yourself, although the missing set of moxibustion makes it hard for me to place from where you come. Mind if we sit down somewhere and talk? I have so many questions for you, hoping you can tell me a bit more about how to find enlightenment here."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 am

The woman looks Sun up and down and says, "That life is behind me. I quit being a monk a long time ago and decided to run this business. No idea what I can do to help you, but I've got a minute or two to speak if you really want to."

She gestures to a nearby empty mahjong table.
    Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 Npc_humanmale_hub_spidershen
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:28 am

Sun sits down, and orders a drink for both the not-a-monk lady and gets himself some milk in a dirty glass.

"Well, first of all, my grandmaster sent me here for spiritual enlightenment, as I kinda slept through all those classes, and just did the martial arts parts. However, it starts to seem more and more difficult to find anything spiritual in this city. The moment I landed here, at the airport, someone sold fake licenses. My friend's throat got cut by some axe-wielding maniacs. We made sure they won't hurt my friends again, though. Then there's that cannibalistic ork, King Cobra, who killed van drivers right in front of our eyes. We made sure he won't bother people anymore, either. But all in all, this city seems to be not all that spiritually enlightened. Even at the various temples, I can't find anything. What's the matter with this city? And why would my grandmaster send me to a place like this?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 pm

The woman says, "Well, I'm no guru on the matter and this is probably the worst place to be looking for spiritual enlightenment. But then maybe that's the point? I dunno, those monks all like their tests. I failed mine so I can't tell you much. Sounds like they're doing some kind of bullshit test of your spiritual fortitude or something.

"I say screw them and their tests. If you paid enough attention in those martial arts lessons to be a half decent fighter, I've got a place for you here. Could make you some nice side cash."
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Sun stares into his dirty glass for a moment, swirls the milk around in it, and looks at the lady.
    "What was your test? And... what sort of work are we talking about?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm

The woman says, "I don't like to talk about it, so lets leave it at that. As for work, it's pro fighting. You pay a signup fee and if you win the match, you double get double the fee. Good fighters make some good cash."Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 Npc_humanmale_hub_spidershen
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:11 pm

When Sun hears he can get paid to fight, his eyes spark up.

"What're the rules? What's the signup fee? What kind of people fight there?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:57 pm

The woman says, "No spells, illegal weapons, armor, or outside interference. Other than that, the match goes until either one person gives up or their opponent can't fight anymore. Signup fee is based on your rank. Win fights and your rank goes up. Lose fights and your rank goes down. I'll be giving you a quick fitness test to see what rank you start at, but there's 10 ranks with 1 the lowest and 10 the highest." She shows a chart on her commlink with a list of ranks and signup fees.

RankSignup fee
    1¥50
    2¥100
    3¥250
    4¥500
    5¥1000
    6¥2000
    7¥5000
    8¥10000
    9¥25000
    10¥50000
    "If you prove yourself in the ring," she continues, "You might even get a sponsor who'll cover the signup fee for ya. Saves you the up front cash and you don't have to worry about losing your own cash if you lose the fight. As for the kind of people who fight in there, we'll, anyone who thinks they're strong enough to fight, fights. You get a lot of punks in the lower ranks, but only the best fight in the higher ranks. Real tough bastards. Of course since they're the toughest, that also means there's fewer of them around to fight"
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Sun takes slow, deep breaths to stay calm.
    "When and where can I take this test?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:41 pm

The woman says, "Come with me. I'll test you right now. I'm Shen, by the way." She then walks into the bathroom. It is marked for both men and women, likely just a single toilet. She doesn't wait to see if Sun is following though. She just seems to expect him to come.Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 Npc_humanmale_hub_spidershen
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm

After having spent 20min talking to a total stranger at a chicken restaurant, Sun got a girlfriend. He's sure good things will come as well from following this strange fight club lady into a unisex toilet. He goes in after her.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Shen leads Sun into the bathroom then into a stall, where she flips a switch. The bathroom door locks and the two descend a secret elevator to an illegal fighting gym. The ring is currently empty, but there are dozens of people training in various ways. Some are sparring, some are weight lifting or doing aerobics. One is practicing sword forms. Shen takes Sun to a boxing bag with some electronics hooked up to it. "This is the first of three tests," she says, "It's pretty simple, just punch the thing as hard as you can so we can get an idea of how strong you are."

((unarmed + strength check))
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 am

For a moment, Sun thinks of using his smashing blow, then reconsiders. He puts himself in a fighting stance, aims, and throws a punch as well as he can.

((5 hits))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Shen takes a look at the readout and says, "Not bad in the strength category. Not the BEST I've ever seen, but certainly upper tier. Alright, lets go to the next test. We're gonna test how light on your feet you are."

She then takes Sun to what looks like a batting cage, except Sun is not provided with a bat and the pitching machine looks like it has the ability to move and aim it's shots. "Alright, when the machine beeps," Shen says, "It's going to try to hit you with ten baseballs. All you have to do is dodge those baseballs."

She then steps safely out of the cage and presses a button. The machine beeps and 130 mph baseballs come rocketing at Sun.

((defense test! Don't forget to add your combat sense))
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:30 pm

After wiping his nose with his thumb, Sun starts hopping on both feet. When the first ball shoots, he lets out a high-pitched "Hyoooooo".

((5 hits))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Sun dodges most of the balls, but gets pegged with one that shoots extra fast near the end. It stings, but nothing he can't handle in all his armor. Shen says, "Almost perfect score. Not bad. Most people get tripped up by the last one though, so don't worry about that. Just means you have room for improvement. On to the last test, endurance. Everyone's going to be swinging for your head and some of the folk out there will kill you if you aren't tough enough. Fighter deaths are great for the crowds, but bad for business. Not to mention, you probably prefer not being dead. So for this last test, I'm going to have to ask you to strip off that armor you're wearing and step on the treadmill."

As she says this, she presses a button and a treadmill with no support bars rises in the batting cage. She then says, "You are going to run for ten minutes as the pitching machine fires at you. If you fall off the treadmill, the test ends and we'll find your final rank."

((body + willpower + any natural armor you happen to have from being an adept

If you want, you can also attempt a defense test as before, but due to the difficulty of dodging around while you are on a rapidly moving treadmill, you have to also make a reaction+agility check to ensure you didn't accidentally trip or otherwise move off of the treadmill while doing it. Hits from defense get added to the first check, if that reaction+agility check has at least as many hits as the defense test. Otherwise it will subtract the difference as you take an early tumble. Up to you if you want to risk it.))

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Sun hops onto the treadmill and starts running, not even bothering to dodge whatever flies at him.
    ((9 hits))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:37 pm

A 10 minute run is no big deal for Sun. The baseballs pelting him for the entire duration are certainly a new challenge, but not one he is unable to overcome. By the end of the job, he's bruised and sore, but not injured. More importantly, he never falls off the treadmill. Not even close.

Shen says, "Not bad, not bad. We'll be starting you at rank 8. Go home, get some rest. When you're feeling up for a round, give a call and I'll tell you when to show up. Remember, it'll cost 10,000 nuyen for the signup fee at that rank. If you don't have the cash, don't bother calling me."

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Sun thanks Shen and goes to the community center to rest up.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:33 pm

Downtime 5 - Sun - Page 7 2e4a65d37ea1ca32f0d44c2965e19a2b587180fac74d5456aa456ccab585b0e2A few days later, Sun finds a package in his room. A little confused as to how it got there, he thinks to ask Sanji but he swears he knows nothing about it. Inside, Sun finds a stylized Hanya mask with instructions on it's use. The instructions read:

This mask is bulletproof, with a built in voice warper, standard vision enhancements, gas filter and an area jammer. It has also been magically enhanced, but these features require attunement to make use of. After it has been attuned, the wearer may transform themself into an oni. The transformation lasts for up to an five minutes, then the mask must recharge for one day before it may be used again.

It is possible to further attune oneself with the mask to gain greater power. This is not recommended. This establishment is not responsible for any death or injury that may result from improper use of this mask.

((It's a custom ballistic mask with the following features:
    - Rating 6 voice warper (Hard Targets 187)
    - flare compensation
    - gas mask
    - Rating 6 area jammer
    - low light vision
    - Thermographic vision

Atunement (costs 10 karma, though you can potentially spend more in multiples of 10, if you want)
    - Shapechange into an Oni for up to 5 minutes (note this is a monster type, not the ork metavariant)
    Oni effects:
    grow to a 2.5 meter tall oni
    Size increase provides +1 reach
    All worn gear is temporarily absorbed by the body and lost for the duration of the change
    +1 temporary enhancement to all physical attributes
    Flesh becomes hardened armor equal to your magic rating
    +4 intimidation skill
    +3 to club attacks
    May be ended as a free action
    ))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 pm