Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

4 posters

Downtime 5 - Sam

Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 Empty Re: Downtime 5 - Sam

Post by Sam Dekker Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:46 am

"No, Auntie. This is not about me. I just recently learned about these bunraku parlors. Do you remember the reporter, Michiko? She is the one who interviewed me about the Jingshai.
    Did you see the news a couple days ago? When the broadcast was interrupted and then went off the air?
    Well, that was Michiko. And she contacted me after she was unable to report the story. And she has been fired.
    Michiko says that the break in at that factory was not just a vioent break in of a factory, as the news reported. She says that the factory was being operated by the Yamaguchi. And that they are kidnapping SINless women and wiping their brains and turning them into sex slaves for the bunraku parlors.
    But, she says the police didn't care. Michiko says that the police got a call from soneone telling them all of that, but when they got to the factory some guy from the Yamaguchi just talked to them and they didn't investigate at all.
    Michiko has this video of the Yamaguchi loading dozens of these wiped girls into the back of a garbage truck. She does not know if the women have been relocated, or if the Yamaguchi just crushed them all in the garbage truck.
    She also says that the Yamaguchi are holding Dr. NakaMats. She got this footage of him being taken from the factory."

As Sam describes these things, he pulls up the pictures that Michiko took and the video taken from Emiko's cameras and displays them on a trid projector for Aunti Muku to see.

"Michiko says that the police are not going to do anything to help all of these women. Or to stop the Yamaguchi from kidnapping more people. And her network fired her for trying to report the story. So she can not even let people know that this is happening.
    She contacted me to ask for help. I would like to at least find where the Yamaguchi moved the doctor, and hopefully also the women, to. Is there anything that you could do to help?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Post by GameMaster Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1Auntie Muku says, "It is unfortunate for those women, but they do not have any legal rights. This is one of the reasons the Church of Happy Science has been trying to recruit the SINless: to give them a place of safety. Unfortunately, too many of them turn down our charity. The women you speak of could have been perfectly safe if only they had accepted the help offered to them."

She sighs and says, "Anyway, the police won't go after the Yamaguchi over a few SINless women. The organization is too large and it would take far more resources than they would deem worth the trouble. Repugnant as it may seem, crimes against SINless aren't seen as worth their time to investigate.

"Dr Nakamats is a different story though. This video just shows he is with some people. It isn't immediately obvious if he is a prisoner or a willing partner. But if there is proof that he is being held against his will, the police would more likely become involved. That is of course assuming he is being held against his will. If he isn't, and all he needs to do is to say he isn't, there is nothing the police could legally do against the Yakuza.

"The only option I see is to somehow get the police to see something so obviously wrong that they would have no option but to respond. Something like directly seeing Dr Nakamats in the act of performing illegal surgery on an unwilling victim. Then they'd be there and would have no choice but to arrest him and his conspirators if the police have any honor at all. One can hope that with Nakamats arrested, that will put an end to the practice.

"As for how to find him, I can see about pulling up the traffic information for this night and see where the car that took him went at least. However, what will you do with it once you have it? This sounds like the sort of thing one might hire shadowrunners to take care of. You aren't planning on getting directly involved, are you?"
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:23 pm

"Of course not, Auntie. That sounds very dangerous. Michiko asked me if I could help her with tracking down where the doctor and the women were moved to. It seemed like a worthwhile cause to me, and I thought that you would agree. So, i told her that I would attempt to help. I do not know what she will do with the information. I suppose she may know some shadowrunners that she might hire. But I did not ask.
    I will ask her if she has any more video of Doctor NakaMats. If she does, should she bring it straight to the police? The police do not seem inclined to intervene. Is there a better way to force their hand?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 am

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1Auntie Muku says, "Well, I can see what I can have done about the traffic data. Just don't tangle yourself in this mess. You might mean well, but the Yakuza are dangerous. Let this Michiko and her shadowrunners take care of things. Their job is to deal with dangerous people."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:35 pm

"Yes, Auntie. Thank you. I am sure that Michiko will be very appreciative.

Also, speaking of the Church of Happy Science, which you mentioned previously and so my bringing it up now seems completely natural and not like something that I had on an agenda of things to discuss with you that I have displayed on my smart link right now, I have been looking forward to a tour of the church so that I can test out their matrix system. When can I do that?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:33 am

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1Auntie Muku gives Sam a look like he just turned into an alien before she says, "Well, I wanted to take you on a tour to see if you wanted to join, which includes taking a look at our state of the art matrix connection. If you're interested in seeing what the Church of Happy Science can do to improve your life, I can arrange for someone to pick you up any time you like."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:31 pm

"Okay," Sam says. Satisfied that he as accomplished all of the conversation goals that he had for this dinner, Sam sits quietly and waits for dinner.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:29 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 Chicken-Katsu-Curry3Dinner is soon served, consisting of chicken katsu curry, a savory curry filled with onion, carrots and potato served with rice and a fried chicken breast on top. Some red pickled ginger is used as a garnish. A sort of sweet steak sauce called tonkatsu sauce is placed at the table for use with the fried chicken breast and a shaker of some kind of red spice is also placed at the table in case one prefers their curry to be spicy. Auntie Muku certainly seems to.

During the meal, Auntie Muku says, "So, tell me Sam, what exactly ARE your feelings for Hanako? Are you not interested in her as a partner or are you just not currently interested in a commitment?"
    Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1

Last edited by GameMaster on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

"I do not understand why you are asking me," Sam responds. "I already told Hanako when she asked me. At the lake house. I told her that I do not know what my feelings towards Hanako are. But But I like her. And I think that she is nice. And I think that she is pretty. And that is when she told me that she thought we should break up."

Sam shovels a forkful of curry into his mouth.

"Sho you shee," he says, spraying bits of curry back onto his plate. "It ish not beacaushe of Eula that Hanako ish upset."

QED, Sam thinks, and swallows his food.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 Chicken-Katsu-Curry3Auntie Muku says, "I ask for a two reasons. The first being because she was too upset to give me much in the way of details and I want a clear story from you. The second being that I want to know if she decides to wait on you to come around, that she is not wasting her youth doing so. She is a beautiful girl and would make a fine wife to someone who is ready to take care of her the way that she would take care of them."Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Having no particular response for that, Sam continues eating his curry.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 Chicken-Katsu-Curry3Auntie Muku says, "Guess it sounds like you don't even know yourself. Well, I know that you young folk are always wary about settling down young, but think of it this way: the later you get married and start a family the older you're going to be when you have those kids. It's a lot easier taking care of them when you're still young. You don't want to be ready to retire and still have children in high school."Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 15cm2c1
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 pm

Sam doesn't make any attempt to respond. He keeps his focus on the food, and, as is customary for him, avoids eye contact with his Aunt through the rest of dinner.

((I don't have anything else to do for this dinner, so I'm moving on. If there's more you wanted to accomplish, feel free to Jeremy Bearimy us back.))

Sometime after the dinner, Sam and Eula scoot to an internet cafe, and Sam turns the burner commlink back on to see if NakaMats Jr. sent him any new messages.

He also sends a message to Hanako:
    >>>>>>Hello, Hanako.
    >>>>>>Your mother thinks that you are upset.
    >>>>>>She thinks that Eula hurt your feelings.
    >>>>>>But I told her that I explained to you that Eula is just a robot.
    >>>>>>And that you decided you did not want to date me anymore.
    >>>>>>So, you are not upset, right?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 am

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 43KVAuntie Muku spends the rest of dinner nagging about the relationship status. Eventually the meal ends and Sam is able to get out of there without further grief. While he is waiting on a response from Hanako, he checks the burner and after the initial rants of "who is this?" on the initial day, the messages eventually stop as there has been no further replies to him. A few minutes later, Hanako responds:

>>>>> Well, I am not happy.
    >>>>> But if you aren't interested in a relationship, there is no point in me bothering you about it.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 pm

>>>>>>Why are you not happy?
    >>>>>>I want you to be happy.
    >>>>>>I never said that you were bothering me.
    >>>>>>You were never bothering me.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 am

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 43KVHanako's response takes a while to come, but it eventually does:

>>>>> I am not happy because for a moment I thought we might be an actual couple.
    >>>>> I thought that you were interested in marrying me.
    >>>>> I thought you loved me.
    >>>>> But I was just caught up in my mother's nonsense and it's fine.
    >>>>> It's not your fault that I saw something that wasn't there.
    >>>>> I don't blame you for anything, but I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about it.
    >>>>> I'm sorry if mom gives you a hard time about it. You know how she is.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:01 pm

Sam eventually arranges that trip to the Church of Happy Science. A representative named Ryu Kenshin shows up at his home and gives him a ride to the facility. When they arrive, Sam is first given a brief introduction video featuring the same man who picked him up.

"Hello. My name is Ryu Kenshin. I am a member of the Church of Happy Science and welcome you on this tour of our facility. It is no surprise to anyone that the City of Mingmei, and in fact society at large have been on a sharp decline for many years now. The wealthy elite horde all of the wealth like dragons perched in their billion nuyen penthouses while every day millions of people starve. You would think we were in the middle of a famine, but the fact of the matter is, there is no shortage of food or resources to go around. They are just being horded beyond reason by a select few while everyone else suffers.

"The great Prophet El Cantare foresaw a day when inequality would be stretched to a point where the base survival of society would be tested. He foresaw it because he is the reincarnation of every great prophet throughout history. He has been sent to right the greed that has ruined our society. Today, you will be shown many things that we provide our members free of charge. It will be natural for you to question why we would offer such things while asking nothing but your membership in return. The answer is no big secret: Despite what you have been told, there is no shortage of resources in the world. There are plenty to go around. That was the intention when God made this planet. He made a world that would provide for ALL of his children, not just a select few.

"We wish only to return to God's plan, and you can help us achieve that goal, simply by joining our church. Your life, much like all of God's children is precious. I hope you join us and allow us to show this to you."

Sam is taken on a tour of the premises. The place isn't lavish, but the rooms look comfortable enough, the food is nutritious and there are many activities offered as well as opportunities for employment. Of course, what Sam's most interested in is their matrix connection. It is blazingly fast, at least as fast as what he is spending a fortune on, and it's free to all members of the church. Not a bad gig.  

While he's in, Sam does a quick search on Kin and his parents. Personnel files are hidden behind a firewall, but nothing too hard to get through for Sam's skills. He quietly manages to extract them while pretending to play some matrix game, in case his guide decided to peek in the matrix and see what he was doing. Not wanting to get caught, Sam stashes the files away without looking at them and disconnects before finishing up the remainder of the tour.

He is introduced to several friendly people of various races who all seem to be quite happy. They each have a story to tell of struggling to get by until they joined the church, after which their needs are taken care of with no suffering. There is work to be done, but it is not the ruthless toil that they were forced to endure in the outside world. Productive work that feels like it is helping the community as a whole as opposed to the bottom line of some megacorporation. They each tell Sam that they hope he joins and look forward to working with him to build a happier future.

The tour eventually ends and Ryu drives Sam back home. He provides Sam with his contacts info, in case he has any questions or decides to join the church.

Once in private, Sam glances through the files. There is no mention of either of Kin's parents being dead. Instead it says they have been transferred to a special research lab for something called, 'Project Eden'. Kin's file lists him as 'missing'.  

((in game mechanic terms, signing up to the church would give you a 20 hour/week day job that doesn't pay anything, but you'd have a free medium lifestyle with luxury matrix connection))
    Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 4 Jzbcw8

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:57 am