Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

4 posters

Downtime 5 - Sam

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 Empty Re: Downtime 5 - Sam

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:24 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 317dtexMichiko says, "Well, that's shit to hear, but I suppose that makes his safety one less thing to worry about. Would be nice to know if the girls are beyond saving though because that's for sure going to give me heartburn thinking about.

"As for what to do next, honestly, I don't know. Who knows where they got taken? It could be anywhere. And it's not like we can go up against the Yakuza directly. There's thousands of them in this city alone. We'd be dead before we got anything off the ground. Besides, they have people in the police force and media. I'll send you what pictures I have, but I honestly don't even know who we would take it to. I trusted my boss as much as I trust anyone and he squashed the story.

"I feel like the only thing I can do is set up a competing pirate news show, and hope that people care enough to listen. Problem is, I need to find a source of funding to do that. I can't do anything if I'm homeless. Don't suppose you have any ideas of where I could secure a revenue stream?"

Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 pm

"If the girls were not crushed by the garbage truck, then they are not beyond saving. Dr. Nakamats had two assistants who knew how to reverse the brain wipe. But they were killed by the Yakuza when we were trying to escape. I do not know how to do it, but at least I know that it is possible.
    As for revenue, have you considered shadowrunning?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 317dtexMichiko laughs for a while and then slowly calms down as she says, "Oh... you're serious. Oh no, I could never be a shadowrunner. The only thing I know how to do is report the news. Shadowrunners kill people and steal stuff. That's just not my skillset."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 pm

"An information broker, then?" Sam suggests. "I think that investigative journalism has more skills in common with running than you might think. But, If you need a place to stay while we put your pirate news station plan into action and try to figure out how to stop this human sex doll operation, I am sure the others would not mind if you stayed at the community center."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 317dtexMichiko says, "Alright then let's just say I don't have the stomach for shadowrunning work. Running around and getting shot at just doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. Spying on Yakuza through a zoom lens from 100 meters away is already more action than I'd really like to be in. I suppose I could be an info broker. I have the network for it. Problem is I want to get the information out to everyone rather than just those who can pay me for it. I suppose I'll have to figure out something anyway or I'll be couch surfing before I know it."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:14 pm

"I think that the rooms at the community center have beds in them. Or, we could at least get you a futon. You do not need to stay on a couch," Sam says. "In the meantime, what is the next move to getting the word out on this story? Do you think you can track down where they took Dr. Nakamats? Or what they did with the erased girls?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:45 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 317dtexMichiko says, "I didn't mean it literally had to be a couch, it's just a sayin- nevermind. Not important. As for tracking Nakamats and the girls down, I'm not sure. That seems more like a job for you than for me. I mean a garbage truck driving around at 3 in the morning can't be THAT hard to find on a traffic cam, right? I don't actually know how hard it is to hack a traffic cam, but I'm assuming it's not hard for someone who knows how to hack traffic cams. Do you know how to hack traffic cams? The datajack means you're a hacker, right? I don't know how many you'd have to hack to follow the whole path it drove though. I guess, now that I think about it, it sounds like a lot of work. Would be easier if we had access to the central traffic database. Of course, even if we do that, that only gives us a location. After last night, I am thinking they would shuffle Nakamats and the girls to a more secure location, assuming they didn't just decide the project was too much trouble and disposed of them all. For all we know they've all been dumped somewhere for ghoul food."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 pm

"I will see what I can do about getting access to the traffic cameras," Sam says. "You said that you have a lot of contacts. Maybe you can get some information from them. If they murdered Dr. Nakamats and shut down the program, then at least it is over. But, if they just moved to a new location, we need to at least try to stop them."

"Well," Sam thinks. "This will be an interesting dinner at Auntie Muku's..."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 317dtexMichiko says, "Thanks, I'll see what I can dig up. In the mean time, I had better enjoy this meal while I can. I might be tightening the belt soon."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Sam and Michiko finish their meals without much more conversation. Sam keeps his gaze fixed on his food as he eats.

Sam picks up a burner commlink (running downtime total 82,002¥) on his way back to the community center, and waits for Michiko and Emiko to send him footage and pictures from the factory.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:28 pm

Michiko pays her bill then gives Sam a wave. About 20 minutes later he gets a small cache of files attached to an e-mail. They are pictures of the factory taken at night and through a zoom lens so they aren't the clearest of images, but he sees the police talking to the cleaner, followed by the girls and Nakamats being taken away over the course of a few dozen files. The images aren't clear enough for full facial recognition. If Sam didn't know who he was looking at, the people could be just about anyone, which is also probably part of the reason why the story got squashed, no matter what Michiko says.Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 10hm-dragon
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 pm

Sam flips through the pictures Michiko sent him, looking for the clearest picture he can find of Dr. NakaMats.
    He attempts to digitally enhance the pictures as much as he can.
    Hopefully the footage that Emiko got is a little clearer than this...
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Sometime, when Sam isn't actively working on finding and stopping Dr. Nakamats, his commlink lights up displaying a message from Kai Zoku.

Sam ignores it. Kai never contacts him unless he wants something, and it's almost never worth Sam's time. Sam goes back to his video games.

But, this time Kai is persistent. Within the next hour, Sam gets four more messages from Kai asking him to call. So, Sam calls.

It turns out that Kai is actually bringing him something worthwhile this time. A local... trid... theater...? is ... screening? a new trideo for just one night, months before it gets a wide release.

Kai has recently worked his way into a network of Matrix pirates from all around the country. He explains to Sam that if he can get a copy of this trid, everyone is going to be interested. This could be the biggest payday of his life. But, the security at the theater is more than Kai can handle.

Sam starts by hacking the host of theater to see what security is going to look like on the day. It's just a theater, so the security isn't particularly difficult for Sam to get through. He tosses a mark on the entrance, and takes a look around. All he sees around is some ineffectual IC patrolling the area. There don't seem to be any security measures inside the theater at all. Just some door locks. Not even security cameras.

Sam easily finds a layout of the theater, and a list of employees. Feeling confident, Sam keeps looking around in the system for some idea of any extra security measures planned for the screening.

He finds an email thread from the manager of the theater and the production studio. He brazenly opens the thread and reads through it while still in the system, and suddenly more IC pops up around him. The IC must have spotted him!

He quickly jacks out, having scored the payload anyway.

Reading through the thread, it looks like there really isn't that much extra security planned, as such. The transmission is going to be air gapped. The people in the theater will be required to leave their commlinks at the door and use hardwired commlinks provided at their seats. The transmitter with the trideo itself is going to be started, and then the operator is going to leave it in the projection room and lock the door. An extra, analog lock has been added to the door for this purpose.

Sam is happy with this level of security and devises a plan. He's going to have Eula sneak in there.

On the night, Sam sets up nearby and hacks back into the host of the theater. But this time, he is spotted right away. By a spider. The spider wasn't there before, and the email thread didn't say anything about hiring one for the night. Someone must have noticed that the system found him, and decided to up the security.

Sam jacks out. Eula will have to get past the maglock doors on her own. But that shouldn't be a problem. Sam monitors Eula as she makes her way through the back door and up to the projection booth without incident. She easily picks the maglock and the extra analog lock on the projection room door. Everything is going smoothly enough. She opens the door, and is greeted with a taser in her face.

There is a guard camped out in the room. This was also not in the email. Eula is able to take out the guard, using gel rounds loaded in her Ares Predator. But she takes a lot of matrix damage from the taser.

Still, she is able to plug in to the trideo transmitter, and Sam hacks the security through her and downloads the trideo. Eula makes it back out of the theater without further incident.

(rolled a 3 on the extra job roll)
    Emiko
    Emiko

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Emiko Amaterasu /PokaYoke
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 3/10

Post by Emiko Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Emiko reads Sam's text and it dawns on her, "my cameras!" She realized she left her cameras at the warehouse. "Well, it's not like I could have grabbed them on the way out."

Emiko watches the footage and nearly faints while watching Tetsu dismantle the security guard with his axe. When finished, she encrypts the footage and sends it to Sam. "Sam, I'm sure you were going to do this anyway but please make sure you don't share the video with us in it. We're wearing masks but I want to be cautious."
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Sam sifts through the data that Emiko sent, hoping for clearer images of Dr. Nakamats and the Yakuza people. And video of them marching hundreds of naked brainwashed women into a garbage truck. Hopefully the quality is more useable than what Michiko got.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:49 pm

Emiko's exterior footage is better in some ways but worse in others. Due to the fixed angle, sometimes the frame cuts off parts of heads or people just don't enter the frame at all, but the footage is shot from much closer so it is sharper. There's a good shot of Nakamats being taken away at least, as well as the women getting moved into the garbage truck. Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 10hm-dragon
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:51 pm

Sam notices that the only footage Emiko sent is from the cameras that she set up outside. He is pretty sure that he remembers Emiko taking video and pictures from inside the factory of Dr. Nakamats giving his evil genius speech and of the rooms of women, for exactly this purpose. He sends another message to Emiko:

>>>>>>I thought you also got footage in the basement?
    >>>>>>Send that, too.
    Emiko
    Emiko

Runner Dossier

Post by Emiko Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 pm

When Sam asks Emiko for the footage of inside the warehouse, when Dr. Nakamats explained his devious plan, she flinches since she was going to use that to spread in a bulletin board system.

"I trust you Sam, you'll put this video to better use," she thinks to herself before sending the video.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 pm

Sam goes through all of the data Emiko sent over. He edits out any appearances from the three of them. During Dr. Nakamat's monologue in the operating room, he manipulates the voices of himself, and any of the Emiko or Tetsu who might be heard so that they are unrecognizable.

When he gets to the end, he realizes that Emiko didn't send him any of the footage he remembers her getting of the women being stored in the basement. He does have Dr. Nakamats's speech, and the women being herded into the trash compactor. So, for now he thinks he might not need the extra pictures. Though, he can't imagine why Emiko would have left them out.

He sends the edited footage over to Michiko:
    >>>>>>Here is some more footage that we got that night.
    >>>>>>What can we do with this?

He also edits a still of Dr. Nakamats being put in the sedan out of the video footage. He sends the picture to Yoshinari from the burner commlink that he picked up on the way home with the message:
    >>>>>>I know you think your father is ignoring you.
    >>>>>>He is not.
    >>>>>>He is being held by the Yamaguchi.
    >>>>>>-A Friend-
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Immediately after sending the message to Yoshinari, Sam hacks his commlink to snoop on what he does upon receiving the message (3 hits on hack on the fly)
    Deadeye
    Deadeye

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Kin
    Physical Track: 9/10

Post by Deadeye Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 am

Kin places a call to Sam.

"Hey Sam, this is Kin Tanaka. We met at the Community Center. I know you're busy, but I've got a favor to ask when you get a moment. I'm looking for some information on my parents, Nori and Yumi. I think there might be something about them in the server at the Church of Happy Science. I hear you're the best, but how much trouble would it be to get in and poke around? I'd be happy to pay you for your trouble."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:36 am

Sam monitors Yoshinari's phone for a while. There is no activity for a few hours, but when the commlink is finally used, Sam receives a message to the burner he mailed with:
    >>>>> This some sort of joke?
    >>>>> Who the hell is this?

Michiko on the other hand responds almost immediately:
    >>>>> Not sure yet. I'm working on how to get the word out, but will need some time.
    >>>>> I'm going to need a few days at least.

When Kin makes his call to Sam, Sam remembers almost immediately that Auntie Muku had invited him to come check out the computer systems at the church some time ago.
    Downtime 5 - Sam - Page 2 10hm-dragon
    Deadeye
    Deadeye

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Kin
    Physical Track: 9/10

Post by Deadeye Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 am

Kin replies-

>>>>>>>>Thanks Sam. I really appreciate it.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Sam responds to Yoshinari from the burner right away.
    >>>>>>This is not a joke.
    >>>>>>I know that your father stopped responding to you <number> months ago.
    >>>>>>You probably assumed that it was because he does not approve of your lifestyle.
    >>>>>>But it is because he is being held by the Yamaguchi.
    >>>>>>I do not know if he was initially kidnapped, or went willingly. But he is being held currently.
    >>>>>>He was at the factory that was broken into last night.
    >>>>>> What you see on the news is not the whole truth.

Sam sends that message, and then follows it up with a still of Dr. NakaMats operating in the dingy basement laboratory.

He continues monitoring Yoshinari's phone. (He would be using fly on the wall and baby monitor for this monitoring)
    Emiko
    Emiko

Runner Dossier

Post by Emiko Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 pm

>>>>> Met a girl in Izakaya
    >>>>> She invited me to a video game tourney
    >>>>> She’s part of the tourney as a number girl
    >>>>> Want to join me?