Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+4
GameMaster
KingFisher
Fuchou 复仇
Sam Dekker
8 posters

OOC questions

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

OOC questions - Page 6 Empty Re: OOC questions

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am

Torpor wrote:So a first aid kit won't work on a wound that was magically healed?  Those fraggers !

Yeah. Healing goes in this order:
    1) first aid
    2) magic
    3) medicine/long term healing

Once magic is applied, first aid doesn't work. So yeah, they are pretty terrible little critters.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:41 am

RafV wrote:How is max. carrying weight determined? Asking for obvious reasons, considering Sun has high strength, Torpor is heavily wounded, and we're in rather rough terrain.

He can walk on his own, but if you wanted to carry him, here are the weight rules:

LIFTING/CARRYING (BOD + STR)
    The baseline for lifting weight is 15 kilograms per point of Strength. Anything more than that requires a Strength + Body Test. Each hit increases the max weight lifted by 15 kilograms. Lifting weight above your head, as with a clean & jerk, is more difficult. The baseline for lifting weight above the head is 5 kilograms per point Strength. Each hit on the Lifting Test increases the maximum weight you can lift by 5 kilograms.
    Carrying weight is significantly different than lifting weight. Characters can carry Strength x 10 kilograms in gear without effort. Additional weight requires a Lifting Test. Each hit increases the maximum by 10 kilograms.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 7/9
    Stun Track: 1/11

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:53 am

GameMaster wrote:
    1) first aid
    2) magic

Once magic is applied, first aid doesn't work. So yeah, they are pretty terrible little critters.

Not that I would...but what happens if we cut the wounds back open and then treat them....
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 am

WuJen wrote:
    GameMaster wrote:
    1) first aid
    2) magic

Not that I would...but what happens if we cut the wounds back open and then treat them....
    That's just terrible! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:57 am

Just saying...   He's down 8.  Suppose he take another wound for 1 or 2 points, and then gets healed for 10...

As a GM I would not allow it, but I'm not sure what the RAW says.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 am

You would be treating the new wounds that you just cut open. Each wound is treated separately. So if you have 4 damage that has been healed, then take another 4 damage and you get 10 points of magical healing, only the 4 that hasnt been treated would actually get healed. The treated 4 would remain.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Of course, as a GM I'd also have let Torpor resist the magic. While healing is benevolent it was for hostile reasons from a hostile creature.

If I was gonna homebrew the things, I'd have probably just made it a unique spell that prevented healing, rather than using healing itself.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:07 pm

GameMaster wrote:
    RafV wrote:How is max. carrying weight determined? Asking for obvious reasons, considering Sun has high strength, Torpor is heavily wounded, and we're in rather rough terrain.

He can walk on his own, but if you wanted to carry him, here are the weight rules:

The baseline for lifting weight is 15 kilograms per point of Strength. Anything more than that requires a Strength + Body Test. Each hit increases the max weight lifted by 15 kilograms. Lifting weight above your head, as with a clean & jerk, is more difficult. The baseline for lifting weight above the head is 5 kilograms per point Strength. Each hit on the Lifting Test increases the maximum weight you can lift by 5 kilograms.
    Carrying weight is significantly different than lifting weight. Characters can carry Strength x 10 kilograms in gear without effort. Additional weight requires a Lifting Test. Each hit increases the maximum by 10 kilograms.

Or I just suck up a -2 penalty and carry him with Levitate.  200KG doesn't sound like much if your are American, but it's close to 450 lbs., so a good levitate can pick up a small car full of people, probably easier than I think given advanced SR era materials.

I'm seriously considering finding a log for us to sit on and flying us around on that.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm

WuJen wrote:Of course, as a GM I'd also have let Torpor resist the magic.  While healing is benevolent it was for hostile reasons from a hostile creature.

If I was gonna homebrew the things, I'd have probably just made it a unique spell that prevented healing, rather than using healing itself.

I did, but they don't need many hits to get 1 point of healing through.

As for coming up with a new spell, healing actually is perfectly matching what these things do. They normally do heal you after attacking. The healing prevention is just a Shadowrun side effect. Again, once you guys have time to research them I'll explain them in more detail. I think I am going to start a little beastiary as you start finding, researching and defeating various critters.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Ah, so it's not really meant as a curse to prevent healing
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 pm

WuJen wrote:I'm seriously considering finding a log for us to sit on and flying us around on that.

Good plan, though you may want to throw edge at the attempt, given your luck Razz

WuJen wrote:Ah, so it's not really meant as a curse to prevent healing

Yeah, not at all. They are just really weird creatures.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Just wait.

I'll eventually carve us a nice big tandem bicycle looking thing, kind of a giant broom for everyone to ride on. Make sure it's covered in pretty geometric patterns as befits a heremetic, and get it enchanted as a combo manipulation spell and air spirit focus.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Just call me a mana based rigger...
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm

You could make like a big manipulation sustaining focus and fly around on that Razz
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 pm

I was wondering about that too. Sustaining Foci are now school specific?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Yeah, they are school specific and have a force rating. Can't sustain a spell on them that is more than the rating. Focus addiction is also a thing if your total active foci add up in force to higher than your magic rating.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Hopefully they are more affordable now. I miss the old days of spell locks that came with the danger of an astral mage casting a physical spell at an active spell lock and having surprise buttsex fireballs cook you because physical spells ground out.

I'm curious, what do spirits know? For instance, if I were to call up an Spirit of Man at this farm, presumably an ancestor spirit of someone who worked this land, would it be able to identify a peach tree?

I ask because usually what they know depends on what you know (see Innate Spell: Any Spell you know), and it's not like they come with a list of knowledge skills.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:23 pm

WuJen wrote:
    GameMaster wrote:

Or I just suck up a -2 penalty and carry him with Levitate.  200KG doesn't sound like much if your are American, but it's close to 450 lbs., so a good levitate can pick up a small car full of people, probably easier than I think given advanced SR era materials.

I'm seriously considering finding a log for us to sit on and flying us around on that.
    I'm European, Belgian, so I actually prefer Kg. Torpor's runner dossier says 160 pounds, so I got a rough estimation of it being 80Kg (Google actually says 72Kg). Seeing the entire character of Sun, he shouldn't have any trouble lugging someone of roughly 80Kg on his back.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Ive tried to get used to metric, as I worked in a lab and dealt with chemistry for most of my professional life. If we are talking about grams or smaller, I'm good. The larger weights just escape me. There's just no reinforcement for the metric scale in my day to day life to help me get a handle.

Both SR and HERO use metric measurements by default, and I spend a lot of time on google trying to figure out what's what every time I make a character.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm

It's super super simple. It's the same system as meters and liters, except deca, hecto, etc aren't used.
    1kg (kilogram) is 1000g
    Kilo == 1000 times.
    There's also stuff like deca (10 times) and hecto (100 times) but for weights, that's not actively used. 1 ton is 1000 Kilograms (so kilokilograms)

Also, the flying focus thingy... This campaign is gonna turn into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, isn't it
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Foci help allot. In 2/3e at least they did. I haven't played since then honestly. The last i played was on a mux i used metric there but not much since.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Right. I think he meant that, while he understands how the metric scale works, saying something is 15kg, while easy to convert to 15000 grams, is sort of meaningless. I have no idea how easy or difficult that would be to pick up.
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I believe without checking 1kg is roughly 2.2lbs but i could be wrong. Lol. Converting it to 15000 DOES NOT help.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Correct. There's no reinforcement. I go to the store and buy a 5lb bag of sugar. There's no option for me to pick up a 2kg bag.

I know how much a pound is. I know how much 300lbs are because I used to lift it. That's why I think of Levitate as being just shy of 450lbs per hit, because I don't use Kg.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 pm

WuJen wrote:Hopefully they are more affordable now.  I miss the old days of spell locks that came with the danger of an astral mage casting a physical spell at an active spell lock and having surprise buttsex fireballs cook you because physical spells ground out.

I'm curious, what do spirits know?  For instance, if I were to call up an Spirit of Man at this farm, presumably an ancestor spirit of someone who worked this land, would it be able to identify a peach tree?

I ask because usually what they know depends on what you know (see Innate Spell: Any Spell you know), and it's not like they come with a list of knowledge skills.

Sustaining foci are force x 4000 nuyen and require force x 2 karma. So not too bad to start off, but pretty pricey if you want a higher force. If you plan on having more powerful effects on you for extended periods of time, you are probably better off picking up the quickening metamagic skill. no money and force karma is nice. You can't turn it on and off, but for some spells (like a personal levitate spell) that is fine. You could cast it up at force 12 in between missions and quicken it to be able to permanently fly at a pretty decent clip.

As for what spirits know, it depends on the spirit. A higher force has higher logic/intuition for knowledge stuff, and thus a better chance of knowing the answer to what you ask them. If you ask a spirit something relevant to their domain then they probably just know it. If you asked a plant spirit (I know you don't get them, but shinto priests do), I would probably rule they automatically knew what a peach tree looks like. If you ask the same of a spirit of man from the area, I would probably make a knowledge check of intuition x 2 (2). A spirit of air might know about weather, water would know about fish and the safety of the local water, earth would know of things buried in the ground such as minerals or oil, etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am