Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+4
GameMaster
KingFisher
Fuchou 复仇
Sam Dekker
8 posters

OOC questions

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

OOC questions - Page 5 Empty Re: OOC questions

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am

Yeah they are nasty. not necessarily deadly though. They just got a good roll.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 am

I suppose if you critically glitched, that could happen though Razz
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 7/9
    Stun Track: 1/11

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:21 am

So far odds are looking good
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 3/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 am

You guess are having a lot more excitement it seems than we are 😋

Sent from Topic'it App
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by winkingchef Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:02 am

I just skimmed the thread. Wu Jen is having an epic streak of terrible luck with the dice.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:05 am

yes, such is my life
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 am

Your dice rolls are amazingly crap now, but at least your levitate spell succeeded. That frees me up from protecting you to help Torpor out. I assumed he's a bit of a tanky character, but either I'm mistaking in that, or those weasels had some really good rolls.

The weasels were surprising. Heard about them in a podcast I'm following, but they disappeared from memory. This was a nice jolt of memory. Something tells me I'm gonna have a load of fun with such references in this campaign Very Happy

About unarmed combat: My current move is grabbing two weasels and smashing their heads together. I'm wondering if that's allowed. I imagine those creatures are small and light enough that realistically speaking, it's possible to do. I mean, it's weasels, not trolls. Technically speaking, I'm not familiar enough with the rules to know if it's allowed / how it's dealt with.

As a more general question: What is and what is not allowed in unarmed combat?
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 am

Yeah, assuming I don't accidentally heal them I'll try for something else next round. I have not decided if it would be more effective to try maybe a force 3 fire elemental (I'm down 3 dice from my pool due to wounds and spell maintenance) or a stunbolt. They can't have that much willpower, and I can't stay this unlucky forever.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:50 am

Just keep yourself safe, and maybe look after Torpor. He took quite some hits. There are 3 weasels in total. One is dead from a single hit. Another is damaged, and a 3rd one is in good health. Torpor and I can deal with this, no problem. I'm guessing that, as we go deeper into the wild, your magic will be of more use than against the 1.5 weasels that are left here.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 am

Well, I would have been able to heal him, except the things already did, for one point, so he's stuck with natural healing.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:56 am

Those weasels... Such jerks! Laughing
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am

RafV wrote:About unarmed combat: My current move is grabbing two weasels and smashing their heads together. I'm wondering if that's allowed. I imagine those creatures are small and light enough that realistically speaking, it's possible to do. I mean, it's weasels, not trolls. Technically speaking, I'm not familiar enough with the rules to know if it's allowed / how it's dealt with.

Probably would be adjudicated as "Attacking Multiple Targets" [pg 196] like Torpor was doing. Effectively, you take your dice pool and split it between the targets (half each for two targets), rolling each half vs. each of the two targets.

RafV wrote:As a more general question: What is and what is not allowed in unarmed combat?

There's a whole section on melee combat, but it's summed up as a choice between : attack once, attack multiple times (split dice pool like above) and called shot (-4 penalty to do something from the list like sweep the leg to knock prone). There are additional called shots in the sourcebooks like Run & Gun and others.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 am

winkingchef wrote:
    RafV wrote:About unarmed combat: My current move is grabbing two weasels and smashing their heads together. I'm wondering if that's allowed. I imagine those creatures are small and light enough that realistically speaking, it's possible to do. I mean, it's weasels, not trolls. Technically speaking, I'm not familiar enough with the rules to know if it's allowed / how it's dealt with.

Probably would be adjudicated as "Attacking Multiple Targets" [pg 196] like Torpor was doing.  Effectively, you take your dice pool and split it between the targets (half each for two targets), rolling each half vs. each of the two targets.

RafV wrote:As a more general question: What is and what is not allowed in unarmed combat?

There's a whole section on melee combat, but it's summed up as a choice between : attack once, attack multiple times (split dice pool like above) and called shot (-4 penalty to do something from the list like sweep the leg to knock prone).  There are additional called shots in the sourcebooks like Run & Gun and others.
    Interesting. Local gameshop ordered the new core rulebooks of 5E. When they arrive, I'll see if they also have Run & Gun. Any other source books that're good for a total beginner like me, or will these two be complicated enough as is?

Ok, let's see if I got the numbers correct. My attack would be combat skill + agility [accuracy], and a +1 dice pool because of "Friends in melee" (p.187 of the core rulebook). In my case, that would be:

Close combat (unarmed): 6(+2) + agility: 5 +1 == 14. Splitting that up would mean 7 dice for one weasel, 7 dice for the other, to see if I hit them. Considering the move I'm making (I'm bonking their heads together), what if one is a hit, the other is a miss?

Now that I'm checking numbers, I'm wondering about another thing now. My damage is (STR+1)P, so 8P damage, if nothing is deducted by armor or such. I'm assuming the three weasels have the same amount of physical track boxes. One has exactly 8P damage and is still alive. Another went from full health to dead by a single attack from me. Does that mean damage is depending on the situation as well, or am I actually dealing more than 8P damage?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 am

RafV wrote:Your dice rolls are amazingly crap now, but at least your levitate spell succeeded. That frees me up from protecting you to help Torpor out. I assumed he's a bit of a tanky character, but either I'm mistaking in that, or those weasels had some really good rolls.

The weasels were surprising. Heard about them in a podcast I'm following, but they disappeared from memory. This was a nice jolt of memory. Something tells me I'm gonna have a load of fun with such references in this campaign Very Happy

About unarmed combat: My current move is grabbing two weasels and smashing their heads together. I'm wondering if that's allowed. I imagine those creatures are small and light enough that realistically speaking, it's possible to do. I mean, it's weasels, not trolls. Technically speaking, I'm not familiar enough with the rules to know if it's allowed / how it's dealt with.

As a more general question: What is and what is not allowed in unarmed combat?

The weasels were more luck than intended strength. No idea what podcast you are following, but I based them on a Japanese mythological creature, which I can elaborate on if you guys ever decide to research them.

There is no written mechanic for what you want to do that I know of, but in general you tell me what you want to do and we will try to get the rules to actually do them. Kind of hard to say what is/isn't allowed in unarmed combat.

Okay so here is how we are going to do this. These buggers are small, but they are fast. They also go before you in initiative, so they could probably outrun you if you were to attempt what you want to do. But if you spend a point of edge, you can go to the top of initiative for this pass. Then, you can make a regular unarmed attack with the multiple attacks free action. So that means you take your unarmed attack, split the dice in half and throw half of them at one and half at the other. If you fail, you fail. If you succeed on both you can smash them together doing str+1+net hits damage. The damage is physical since you have killing hands, and they will both be in your hands (for better or worse) unless you choose to use a free action to drop them afterwards. If you succeed on one and fail on the other, you just grabbed one and the other got away. We'll assume you just punched the bugger in the face with your other hand or strangled it or whatever.

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am

Sounds good. Let's do it that way.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

Now that I'm checking numbers, I'm wondering about another thing now. My damage is (STR+1)P, so 8P damage, if nothing is deducted by armor or such. I'm assuming the three weasels have the same amount of physical track boxes. One has exactly 8P damage and is still alive. Another went from full health to dead by a single attack from me. Does that mean damage is depending on the situation as well, or am I actually dealing more than 8P damage?

They have no obvious armor, so it is just body soaking the damage. Your damage of 8p is the base damage. For every net hit you score (limited by your physical limit), the damage goes up. So if you get a whole lot of successes, you can do significantly more damage.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

Your punch actually did something like 12 damage I think it was
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 am

Oh, and before I forget it, I drop them after bonking their heads.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 am

lol. okay
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 am

GameMaster wrote:

They have no obvious armor, so it is just body soaking the damage. Your damage of 8p is the base damage. For every net hit you score (limited by your physical limit), the damage goes up. So if you get a whole lot of successes, you can do significantly more damage.

Just checked the rulebook, and it doesn't actually say how damage is calculated, so didn't know you had to add the hits. It doesn't actually say how to calculate damage beyond "Your weapon does this damage, and deduct defense from it"

Ok, so say I roll 4 hits, that would make the damage (8+4)p. Got it!
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am

RafV wrote:
    GameMaster wrote:

Just checked the rulebook, and it doesn't actually say how damage is calculated, so didn't know you had to add the hits. It doesn't actually say how to calculate damage beyond "Your weapon does this damage, and deduct defense from it"

Ok, so say I roll 4 hits, that would make the damage (8+4)p. Got it!

Ah, yeah, damage from most things is (base damage) + (net hits) which is then resisted by body+armor. It is possible to hit and deal no damage, or to hit and deal far more than your base damage. If the target's armor is higher than the damage you are dealing (before resisting), the damage becomes stun damage instead of physical. So Torpor's armor is 11 currently, the weasel actually did 13 (so that means physical) and then torpor's damage resistance brought it down to 9.

Shadowrun is a lot of dice rolling Smile
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am

How will you adjudicate reactive combat actions? (e.g. block or full defense)
    Should we declare and roll them as part of our declaration stage at the start of each pass?
    (I may do this fairly frequently. Because of my low body, I'd like to take Agile Defender to help avoid or mitigate damage and my martial arts has a Block+Throw combo which is reactive)
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:27 am

Just say you want to do them as part of declaring your action. Something like "If the guy with the machine gun starts shooting at me, I hit the dirt" or whatever if (condition) then (interrupt). Torpor already pmed me ahead of time that if he got attacked he wanted to use edge on his defense roll.
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 am

So a first aid kit won't work on a wound that was magically healed? Those fraggers !
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:35 am

How is max. carrying weight determined? Asking for obvious reasons, considering Sun has high strength, Torpor is heavily wounded, and we're in rather rough terrain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm