Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+4
GameMaster
KingFisher
Fuchou 复仇
Sam Dekker
8 posters

OOC questions

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

OOC questions - Page 2 Empty Re: OOC questions

Post by GameMaster Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 am

evan wrote:So, wouldn't I have to be hacking for some multiple of 300 rounds before fifteen minutes passed?

Sent from Topic'it App

It comes up more when you are waiting on your team to do something while you are holding down the cameras and whatnot. It is unlikely to come up when you are on your own.
    KingFisher
    KingFisher

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by KingFisher Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:40 am

I notice some of you guys are spending edge, I found it helpful when making in character posts to describe it as having found some kind of unexpected glitch.
    So while hacking the camera something slightly annoying happens (like the signal wobbles for a moment, a pulse of static on the line, or something), followed by a "oh no you don't" comment.

We're not supposed to know what Edge is, so something that makes you have to grit your teeth and really throw yourself into a task is using Edge.

KingFisher
    KingFisher

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9

Post by KingFisher Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 am

Welcome to the game Evan, great to have you with us.
    Don't let King Fisher get to you, she can be a very pushy girl.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:23 am

evan wrote:((How do I deal with the cowboy icon? Also, do I know if it's a program or a person?
    Presumably, I need to attack it. So, that's what I'm going to roll. You added some flavor about it pointing guns at me. When I roll attack in the matrix, am I throwing marks at the thing, or should I be pulling out some digital guns or something?))

The cowboy can be treated the same as you treat someone pointing a gun at you. You can ignore him and carry on with your business if you want, but he will be attacking you, which is not ideal. You do not know if he is a program or a person unless you succeed at a matrix perception test. As for attacking him, your attack can take whatever form you like it to take. A bolt of lighting. A machine gun. Marshmallows. Whatever. The appearance is cosmetic. But if you hit, you do put marks on the icon. Damage is based on your attack stat plus whatever net successes you make in a computer+logic test.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 3/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 am

I'm not thinking that Chougou is fully equipped or prepared to go into battle against IC right now, especially not being vulnerable in the world...and my own inexperience.

Could I get a sense of how much danger he is in? I would like to cut the cord and take the files that we have (hopefully something came across?) and then blend in. I'd rather be daring with my drones that are expendable than with me who is too pretty to survive prison... X)
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Well, he does have pretty much a bottom of the line deck, so yeah any fight will be rough. Still, it is only a drone, so it's defenses are unlikely to be super crazy unless it's owned by a paranoid decker. Sam has a tougher system to crack.

Since you are in AR, you can see the CSI looking around and if you stay in the system for too long, she may track you down, which is probably the more pressing concern than anything IC can do to you in AR. You do have about 90% of the files though. Up to you if that is enough for you or if you want to risk getting the last 10%. If you want to cut and run, that's fine.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Ok, so I could try an attack on it to gain control? I just don't want to do something stupid that would get us all caught

Sent from Topic'it App
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 pm

chougou wrote:Ok, so I could try an attack on it to gain control? I just don't want to do something stupid that would get us all caught

Sent from Topic'it App

You already have all the marks you need to keep downloading, so you don't need to do anything other than keep downloading to get the files. As for attacking, you are already spotted, so it won't make matters any worse for you at this point. It won't help you for the downloading, but you can try to destroy the IC that is attacking you.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm

You can just as easily ignore the IC, take whatever it dishes out to you and hope it isn't too terrible while you finish downloading.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Could I do both in one turn since the files are just doing their thing and transferring? I mean attack while still downloading...

Sent from Topic'it App
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm

chougou wrote:Could I do both in one turn since the files are just doing their thing and transferring?  I mean attack while still downloading...

Sent from Topic'it App

Both are simple actions, so yes. You can do 2 simple actions in an initiative pass, so you can spend one on downloading and one on attacking each pass, if you want.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Ok cool, what should I roll if I want to attack it and continue downloading? Smile
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:47 pm

The same computer skill, just your attack is limited by your attack rating and downloading is limited by data processing. The amount of damage you do is equal to your attack stat plus whatever net successes you have.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:13 pm

What does spending edge do? Like I could undo a glitch?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 pm

chougou wrote:What does spending edge do? Like I could undo a glitch?

It does a lot of things. It can undo a glitch, turn a critical glitch into a regular glitch among many other things. Lemme post the section, it's probably easier. One sec
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm

Okay so if you are spending edge (meaning it comes back eventually), you can do the following:

Push the Limit: Add your Edge rating to your test, either before or after the roll. This can allow
    you to take tests that might otherwise have a dice pool of zero or less thanks to various modifiers in play. Using Edge in this way makes the Rule of Six come into play: for every 6 you roll, count it as a hit and then re-roll that die, adding any additional hits from the re-roll to your total. If you decide to use this function after your initial roll, only your Edge dice use the Rule of Six. This use of Edge also allows you to ignore any limit on your test.

Second Chance: Re-roll all dice that did not score a hit on a test roll. Second Chance cannot be used to negate a glitch or critical glitch, it does not use the Rule of Six, and it has no effect on limits.

Seize the Initiative: Move to the top of the initiative order, regardless of your Initiative Score. If multiple characters spend Edge to go first in the same Combat Turn, those characters go before everybody else, in order of their Initiative Scores; subsequently, the other players and NPCs take their actions according to their Initiative Scores.
    This move to the top of the order lasts for the entire Combat Turn (meaning multiple Initiative Passes); you return to your normal place in Initiative order at the start of the following Combat Turn.

Blitz: Roll the maximum of five Initiative Dice for a single Combat Turn.

Close Call: Either negate the effects of one glitch or turn a critical glitch into a glitch.

Dead Man’s Trigger: When your character is about to fall unconscious or die, you can spend a point of Edge to make a Body + Willpower (3) test. If you succeed, you may spend any remaining actions you have on a single action before your character blacks out.

The following actions BURN edge, which means you permanently lose a point of edge (unless you spend karma to bring it back up).

Smackdown: Automatically succeed in an action with four net hits. This has to be an action the character is capable of performing—he cannot, for example, score a success in a skill like Automotive Mechanic if he does not have ranks in that skill. Limits have no effect on this—the character gets four net hits regardless of the applicable limit.

Not Dead Yet: There are circumstances—a bullet to the brain, a live grenade in the pants—that by all rights should result in a shadowrunner’s inevitable death. In these cases, a player may elect to burn a point of Edge in order to keep her character alive, against all odds. Note that this does not mean she entirely avoids the effects of the potentially fatal action. The bullet still hits their head, and the grenade still goes off. Instead of dying, though, the character manages to keep breathing somehow and maintain a thin thread of a pulse, giving others a chance to stabilize her and hopefully provide some quick healing. The gamemaster should devise the exact circumstances that lead to the character surviving the current threat.

As this is probably going to come up again, I am going to repost this all in the rules section for reference.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm

So... What does that mean? I need to get out? Or just sort of flavor to tell me danger is happening? I guess what I mean is, how imminent is danger if there's an alarm blaring like that, and how dangerous is the danger?

Sent from Topic'it App
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

What happens when the system reboots?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 pm

evan wrote:So... What does that mean? I need to get out? Or just sort of flavor to tell me danger is happening? I guess what I mean is, how imminent is danger if there's an alarm blaring like that, and how dangerous is the danger?

Sent from Topic'it App

Alarm blaring means the system knows you are around and if it has anything to respond with that you haven't destroyed yet, it will. Also any deckers monitoring the system (if any) will probably come out to play. For now nothing is attacking you, so it's just noise.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 pm

evan wrote:What happens when the system reboots?

All marks go away, IC resets. Basically everything goes back to how it was before you came in, with the exception of damaged hardware. If you are in the system in VR you will be suffering from dumpshock. Gimme a sec and I'll paste out the effects of dump shock.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm

You aren't currently link locked, but that is also described in the dump shock section, so including it:

DUMPSHOCK & LINK-LOCKING
    When you’re disconnected from the Matrix while in VR without gracefully switching to AR first, you suffer a nasty shock as your sim module kicks out. This happens to hackers so often it has its own name: dumpshock. The Damage Value for dumpshock is 6S if you’re in cold-sim and 6P if you’re in hot-sim. Dumpshock is biofeedback damage, so you resist it with Willpower + Firewall. As if that weren’t enough, you’re also disoriented and take a –2 dice pool modifier on all of your actions for (10 – Willpower) minutes. Remember that if you’re being dumped because your deck just got bricked, you don’t have a functional Firewall attribute any more, so only use your Willpower.

Another danger in the Matrix is having your connection link-locked. This is when another persona or device sends keep-alive signals to your deck (or other device) that force it to cancel any attempt to leave the Matrix.

If you’re link-locked, you can’t use the Switch Interface Mode, the Enter/Exit Host, or the Reboot actions on the device your persona is using (probably your deck). You can escape with a successful Jack Out (p. 240) action.

Successfully jacking out usually means suffering dumpshock, but at least you’re free. Any persona, be they agent, technomancer, or sprite, can be link-locked. Usually, if you fall unconscious in VR, your commlink or deck automatically switches you to AR. If you’re linklocked, you remain online and in VR. IC typically doesn’t care whether its target is conscious, so it will probably keep attacking you. Spiders are a bit smarter about it but no less ruthless, and they have a lot of options when you’re helpless and stuck in the Matrix. Either way, it’s nasty, since you can’t defend against actions when you’re unconscious.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Do I have any way of knowing how imminent restart is?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm

evan wrote:Do I have any way of knowing how imminent restart is?

Sort of. An automated thing would probably happen when overwatch score hits 40. So you can always check that. A manual one would require someone there to do it. You haven't encountered any deckers, and presumably wont since the koban was empty. They would probably yank out your cable and let you suffer dump shock with handcuffs on if they found you standing around on the street in front of the koban like you are.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 am

Ok, so if I used edge on my glitch, would it negate it? Or does initiative not have a glitch in the same way was when making checks...
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 am

Wait, better question, if I spent an edge to increase my chances of downloading, how would I roll that? I'm going to go with two additional dice because that's my edge rating (does that spend both of my edge points though?) and then the rule of 6's applies I believe...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm