Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

4 posters

Newbie Mission

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Newbie Mission Empty Newbie Mission

Post by GameMaster Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:19 pm

8/24

It's a chilly fall evening. A cold rain falls on the red and brown leaves of what few trees can be found around this dense city. Theodore Andersan, aka "Black Hitsuji" receives a call from his fixer, Misaki Yachi. The pair had been friends since school back in Dagmar, and part of him hoped this would be a social call when he saw the commcode light up on his commlink. Any hopes for that are dashed as he answers and she says, "Hey Theo-chan, I've a job for you."

"It should be an easy job if you can get your hands on some wheels. You'll need to do a bit of bushwhacking and this job is time sensitive so you need to get out there and do it quick. Something fell out of the sky and crashed in the woods at the bottom of the mountain. I've got a client who wants whatever it is. They gave me coordinates. You go down there, pick up whatever it is that fell, and bring it back to me. It is likely that there will be others doing the same thing which is why you need to get down there quickly. Bring me back whatever crashed there and the client is paying 200,000 nuyen. Come back empty handed and you get nothing. I have no idea what it is you are going down to retrieve, but the woods are always dangerous and filled with paracritters, and I imagine anyone else trying to get it will be less than gentle about getting it back from you if you get it first. At any rate, I don't care how you get it, just make sure you get it to me. Sound like something you can handle or do I look for someone else?"
    Newbie Mission Misaki Yachi

KuroiHitsuji likes this post

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Kuroi Hitsuji / Theodore Anderson
    Physical Track: 5/11
    Stun Track: 7/10

Newbie Mission Empty Newbie Mission

Post by KuroiHitsuji Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:51 pm

8/24

I wake up, the buzzing from my commlink keeps going it takes a few seconds, then I see the caller ID. Oh yes it is Misaki maybe she wants to go out tonight, I quickly scramble out of my bed and answer, trying not to sound like I just woke up.

Misaki's voice is soft and chirpy as if she has some real good news.
    Oh it's a job, well that is good news, not the best, but good.

" A job you say, lay it on me!"
    "I think I have just the wheels for this type of job, actually maybe even the fastest wheels in Mingmei, and I'm sure she could use the Nuyen"
    "alright so no pay if we don't get whatever it is in the forest. Well it's a gamble but that is not something that would stop me"
    "nope absolutely no reason to look for anybody else I think I have the guts and speed to do this"
    "Bye Misaki, wish me luck"

I hang up, Misaki has really come through for me, this is a sweet gig, but the pay is quite high for a pickup job, I better prepare.

As I start putting gear in my duffel bag, I write a text for Misaki Ogawa.  She will be perfect for this job she has skills behind the wheel, and that is what I need here.

>>>>>"Hoi Misaki, I have got a line on a job. It pays suspiciously well. 200.000 Nuyen,
    >>>>>I need you to drive, and we will need to go fast, as only the one who gets the "package" gets paid, and there may be some competition for this race.
    >>>>>Meet me at my address  4-3-5 Saitama apartment #33 Mingmei, I will be waiting in front of the building"

I go through my gear one last time before I head down, I strap my katana under my coat and head down the stairs onto the street.
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Misaki Ogawa
    Physical Track: 2/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

Newbie Mission Empty Re: Newbie Mission

Post by Misaki Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Misaki Ogawa replied by text:

>>>Hi Kuro... 200,000?!! (∩╹□╹∩)
    >>>I'll head over, but what do we need to pick up, where is it, and where do we need to deliver it?
    >>>When you say 'competition', do you mean that there will be a fight? Or just a race?
    >>>Anyways, I'm on my way!! (⌒▽⌒)

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Kuroi Hitsuji

>>>>>Yeah its really good pay, but we got to spilt it between us.
    >>>>>That is a hitch we don't know what it is, only that it fell out of the sky, oh yeah I got the coordinates, and delivery we'll handle then.
    >>>>>Yeah the Johnson said there might be some "others" going for it, but he wants it, whatever it is.
    >>>>>Alright looking forward to see you chummer.
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Misaki was sitting in the garage after school, chatting with her friends via the commlink as she was working on her drones. Kuroi Hitsuji's messages sent a shiver along her spine.

"Do you hear that Marshmellow? 200,000 nuyen! I could upgrade your pilot software with that kind of money," the chatty teen said to the newly acquired hoverdrone. It was a Lockheed Optic X-2, a VTOL drone that was no larger than a small cyberdeck.

"200,000 nuyen is a lot of money, Mi-chan," the drone responded politely.

"You got that right," Misaki replied, as she scooped up the drone and walked over to the van. She placed the drone in the front passenger seat, and loaded the other drones.

Before getting into the van herself, she walked over to the edge of the garage where there was a mirror, and looked over herself once.

Hair? Check.
    Lip gloss? Check.
    Eyeliner? Black as outer space.
    Mascara? Sparkly.

Nodding in satisfaction, she donned her armor jacket and scooped up her weapons. She then climbed into the van, jacked in, and drove to the address that Kuroi had provided.

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 pm

Misaki soon makes it to the address given by Kuro, picks him up and the pair is on their way down the mountain. It is not a short ride at all. Just getting out of the city alone takes a good hour, but at least the autonav can pretty much handle most of that unless Misaki particularly feels like handling the boring drive manually. The vehicle sticks to the highway, which is a good thing as it is fastest and bypasses some of the sketchier neighborhoods. The Kita Barrens in particular is practically a war zone where gangs and crime have largely taken over as the poor people there can't afford to get the police to patrol the area and the police don't do anything for free.

When the highway passes over the Kita Barrens, you can see the stark difference between here and the bright lights, fashionable shops and expensive high rises of the Goujasu district. The buildings below are crumbling, covered in graffiti and many of them lack electricity. Gunshots can be heard in the distance, and you specifically tune them out. Whatever it is, it's not your problem. You've a job to do.

Eventually the pair make it to the bottom of the mountain and the coordinates go off road and into the woods. Years ago, this area was mostly farmland, but as people moved away to the city, the farms were abandoned and overgrown. Nature has reclaimed the land and grown hostile to civilization. The area is known to contain all sorts of strange and dangerous creatures. Your commlinks are losing signal out here, but according to your GPS, it seems you still have about a half hour drive to the crash site. Misako could leave the vehicle on auto, but she's unsure how well the pilot chip will navigate the off-road conditions. The rain means the way through the woods is a muddy one.
    Newbie Mission RainyWoods

Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 am

[Earlier...]

When Misaki pulled the van up to where her Oni friend was standing, the passenger side door swung open.

Misaki was was wearing pink high top sneakers, knee high fishnet stockings, short denim shorts, and a dark grey jacket with colorful racing logos all over it.

"Hi Kuro-chan," Misaki said, between loud pops of bubblegum. "So, where are we headed and what are we picking up? I hope it fits back there." She brushed her long back hair over her shoulder and nodded at the space in the back of the van with the seats folded down.

In the rear, there were a set of drones, but the large folded Dalmation hover drone seemed to move an actuator to acknowledge the newcomer.

"Greetings, Kuro-san," said the drone in an flat, robotic voice.

When Kuroi Hitsuji provided the coordinates, Misaki asked the van, whom she seemed to call "Mochi," to proceed on autopilot in the appropriate direction.

=====================================================

Once the course turned into the woods, Misaki jacked in to control the van in cold sim mode.

"Bunny, can you fly above us, and follow us, 100m above the tree canopy? If you see anything suspicious, try to alert us. If the signal is too weak, just fly lower and do circles until we notice you. I'll stop the van if I notice you and you can try to land."

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 am

A Van pulls up, I greet Misaki  and her drone. "I do hope that some of that clothing is armoured, well at least I brought a Medkit". I get in gives Misaki the coordinates and she takes off.
    For now, this job seemed simple enough.
    I turned to Misaki " Did you bring some protection other than the drones?"

"sorry but you know as little as I do about what we pick up and how much space it will take up, let's hope it isn't too big or too heavy."
    "In fact I don't even think the Johnson knows. But I guess anything that drops from the sky is worth picking up "

Kuroi positioned himself better in the seat, Pulls out his gun and checks the clip once again, not really because he was expecting trouble, just checking. Don't want to mess up on this job.

"smart, having Bunny as an overwatch, it might see the thing we are looking for before any of us"
    Kuroi sends a text to Misaki Yachi:
    >>>>>On our way, I will let you know when we have acquired the target, hugs Kuroi.

Kuroi turned to stare out the windows, to scan the horizon for any clues of anything fallen from the sky.
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 am

Misaki sat in the driver's seat with her legs crossed and arms folded, a blank look in her face as she was plugged into the van.

"Eh?," Misaki's voice came from the speakers in the car, while her body remained motionless. "Oh, the jacket I'm wearing is armored, and I brought my gun. It's a super big gun though, and kicks like a horse. I've never really used it except at the shooting range. It was a gift from a friend."

"This van, Mochi, also has two Ares Alpha assault rifles on a pop up turret. Are we expecting trouble? I hope your Johnson could provide us more details..."

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:31 am

Kuroi turns towards Misaki, as it feels weird not to look at the one he talks to.
    "A gift you say, may I see it?"
    "Are you any good with it?"
    "hopefully it won't be necessary"

He fiddles a little with the breast pocket of his coat, yep it's still there.
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:49 am

"Ummm. Ummm. One second..."

Misaki switches to AR mode. Her slender body stirs to life and she blinks a few times, and stretches.

She reaches into her jacket and withdraws a heavy pistol from a concealed holster. It looks comically large in her tiny hands. With reassuring precision, Misaki ejects the clip, racks the slide, and locks it back. She holds the gun towards Kuroi Hitsuji to take while the car continues forward.

"Savelette Guardian, sparkles, eh?," she said smiling.

After Kuroi took the gun, she popped her bubble gum a few times. "I could also send one of my smaller drones ahead to scout out the GPS location and fly back with pictures. Ya think that's a good idea?"

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 am

"That is a nice gun, I wouldn't be caught dead without my own" Kuroi smiles, the gun looks like it is kept well. It will serve Misaki well in a bind.
    "oooh if you don't mind a question, aren't you afraid you might choke on the gum while you jack in?"

"Actually, getting some "eyes" on the target is a brilliant idea, I knew you would be perfect for this job"
    Kuroi rests back in the seat, return the gun to Misaki with a "thanks".
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 am

Misaki smiles, and takes the gun back. She inserts the magazine back in, flicks the slide release, and with a firm SNAP, the gun's slide whips forward, loading a bullet into the chamber. She gently returns the gun to her holster.

"I'm ok with it. I depend on people like you, Bunny, and Pretzel to keep me safe." Misaki pointed up at the sky to indicate 'Bunny', and pointed her thumb at the back of the van when she mentioned 'Pretzel.' Pretzel was apparently a small drone with tank treads, carrying a metal box.

"No, I won't swallow the gum. I've had lots of practice," Misaki snorted.

After awhile, she stopped the van and released Marshmellow on her first mission.

"Well look at you, your first job, Marshmellow. Please fly ahead to these GPS coordinates, remain a minimum of 40 meters above the forest canopy. Once you get to the crash location, can you please take some pictures and video? If there is commlink signal, just relay it to me. Otherwise fly back on the track that you went, and once you see Bunny, you'll know where we are. Then you can fly down and greet us.

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:41 am

"They do seem to be able to protect you, do they have some heavier weapons? I will try my best to keep us out of harm's way."
    The way she talks with to the drones as living beings is endearing or cute somehow.
    "Do you think of them almost as pets?, I mean Bunny and Pretzel"

"Alright, I've never jacked in before so I just wondered."
    Misaki prepares the drones, she is a girl of many talents it seems, and for such a young age. Maybe she is some kind of a wunderkind.
    "how good is Marshmallow to take pictures?, is it made for surveillance?"
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 pm

"Yup," Misaki replied, with a twinkle in her eye. "Pets, or friends, they're all pretty ace."

"Bunny and Pretzel both have a hidden Alpha Ares that shoot 7.62 NATO, with a grenade launcher. For Bunny it's in the pizza box, so people think that it's a pizza delivery drone. Pretzel has it in that other box, so it looks like a sushi delivery robot."

"Yeah, Marshmellow is a recon drone." Indeed, the rotodrone was no bigger than a textbook. "I guess she takes good pictures... I'll try to teach her to take some good selfies."

"How about you, what kind of gun are you packin'? I didn't know much about them, but the last crew that I worked with showed me the ropes."

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:01 pm

"But do you get hurt emotionally when they get hurt, you know like pets?"
    "Ares Alpha is a pretty good gun on a drone, especially with the grenade launcher, what kind of grenades have you got loaded?"

It is really cool the way she has camouflaged the drones to look like delivery drones of different types.
    "selfies? You got an entire online persona?"
    "I have got a Savalette Guardian just like you though I have put on a silencer. If I do want to go loud I have a Ares Predator V, its big and it demands attention.
    "as a backup I carry this little thing"

Kuroi pulls his coat aside and shows the katana he has strapped on his person.
    "this is my favorite way to handle problems, and it is very silent." Kuroi makes a half smile. He has really gotten to appreciate this weapon since he got to Mingmei.
    "I do have a few other surprises, if the drek hits the fan."
    "do you have any idea what we could be picking up, fallen from the sky? Maybe a meteorite?"

Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:15 am

"I would probably feel kinda bummed," Misaki said, pondering the question. The Renraku van drove deftly around obstacles. Misaki seemed like a very skilled multi-tasker. "So far, I have been able to fix any drone that got damaged. I did get a memory wipe once, that was really lame."

"I have explosive grenades loaded," she said, popping her bubble gum a few times. "I guess I could get some smoke grenades?" Misaki twirled her hair in her finger as she considered this.

"Woah! Is that an honest real katana?! Sparkly! Can I see?"

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:11 am

"Yeah I could imagine, but at least you can repair it."
    It is impressive she even has the ability to fix these complicated machines.
    "explosives are always good, they definitely gets the job done. Smoke could be a good idea if we have a way to see through it and our enemies don't" Hmm thermal vision might be a good thing to invest in, maybe some googles or get it installed in my ballistic mask.
    "Yeah it is "sparkly"," I go to learn this street speak Kuroi thinks to himself, I must seem like an old fart to this girl.
    "sure, here check it out, but watch the edge it is quite sharp" Kuroi unstraps the scabbard and blade, and reaches it over to Misaki.
    Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:02 am

"Mochi, drive for a bit," Misaki said.

"I have control," the speakers in the van responded, in a demure, feminine voice.

Misaki gawked at the blade and took a hold of it gingerly.

"Eeeeee- kakkoi!" She unsheathed a portion of the blade just to admire the sharpened edge for a few moments, then stowed the blade and carefully handed it back to Kuroi Hitsuji. "The last shadowrunner crew I worked for, one guy had a katana also, but he never let me touch it."

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:30 am

"Mochi is that the name of the car?"
    Kuroi smiles to himself remembering the day he got the blade, he was just as excited as Misaki was right now.
    "Well some impart too much feelings into their tools, it is a blade and it cuts. "
    "but yeah it is a really cool tool, but it doesn't break that easy"
    "Maybe you could try giving it a few swings when we have the time for it, though maybe we could start out with some Bokken" rather safe than sorry Kuroi thinks to himself, remembering he nearly cut himself badly first trying out using this blade.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:43 am

The drone is easily able to hover above the forest canopy. Though the trees are quite dense, they are not very tall and the drone gets above them easily in under 10 meters. The crash site is still a good 20 kilometers away so the drone doesn't have eyes on it yet, and the density of the trees around you unfortunately makes it difficult to spot things nearby, but it doesn't hurt to have it looking nevertheless.

The drive is slow going as the van is not designed for offroading, and them muddy forest floor doesn't provide much in the way of traction. Crashing the van into a tree at this point would be a disaster. Misaki decides to drive cautiously to avoid just such a catastrophe and her natural skills as a driver, along with her rigger attachments, allow her to navigate around fallen trees, mud puddles and other treacherous hazards with little trouble.

It takes a good half hour of driving, but eventually Misaki's drone spots a scorched hole in the forest canopy up ahead...

Misaki
    Misaki

Runner Dossier

Post by Misaki Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 am

"Yuppers. Mochi is this babe," Misaki says, patting the dashboard of the van. "One sec, the road is getting a bit more difficult."

Misaki switches to VR mode to handle the driving more carefully. She hums a tune over the speakers as she continues driving, not seeming to be bothered by the offroading.

=========================

After some time, Marshmallow reports seeing an anomaly in the forest ahead.

"Marshmallow sees something ahead, I'm going to go take a look."

Misaki puts Mochi, the van, on autopilot, and requests it to be cautious and methodical. In the meantime, she switches to cold sim VR into the hoverdrone scouting ahead.

KuroiHitsuji
    KuroiHitsuji

Runner Dossier

Post by KuroiHitsuji Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 am

"It is a nice van, Mochi neat name"
    Kuroi gives a thumbs up as he understands Misaki might need to focus a bit on this next stretch.
    ===========================
    "Alright but be careful, you never know what creeps around in a forest like this, let me know if anything stands out and how far out is this anomaly?"
    Kuroi sits back and rests, it feels like hours, but he has never been the most patient type, which he is abundantly aware of.

Misaki likes this post

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:48 pm

As the autonav is designed to drive on roads with established sensors and maps, setting it to autopilot and telling it to "be cautious and methodical" while in the middle of the road quickly causes problems for the system. Luckily the van has an upgraded pilot and maneuvering software that can handle it.

Meanwhile Misaki flies over to the crash site to take a look around. The fires have long gone cold in the rain, but there is a small crater about 4 meters across that has completely filled with mud. Nothing is obviously visible at the moment within the crater, though it's possible something is buried under the mud.

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Misaki takes a look at the area for any signs of recent activity and notices fresh truck tracks heading north in the woods. Zooming ahead along them, they don't go a terribly long way until she comes to the wreckage of a pickup truck. The vehicle itself looks like it was sliced neatly apart with an extremely high intensity laser. The occupants of the truck were bisected by said laser and the truck bed is empty. The tracks of what appears to be a massive chicken march off towards the west. The footprints are easily two meters across.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 pm