Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+2
Fuchou 复仇
Valacan
6 posters

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy

Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Empty Re: Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy

Post by Sam Dekker Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Sam also sends a message to Michiko:

>>>>>>What happened at the house last night?
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Post by GameMaster Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:44 am

A search of the matrix shows that Nakamats was 90 years old and that he was born on the 20th of Berrith.

Michiko responds to Sam:

>>>>> I tried calling you last night but the line wouldn't go through.
    >>>>> By the time I got to the house, the girls were gone and the house was swarming with police. They didn't seem to know anything though.
    >>>>> Said something about Nakamats being murdered along with some other folk. You wouldn't know anything about that of course though, would you.
    >>>>> And in case you don't realize it, that was rhetorical. I don't want to know anything about that part.

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Michiko%20Morimoto
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 am

>>>>>>Okay.

Sam accesses the computer and punches in "iranihsoy2920" when prompted for a password.

Once able to access the computer without having to worry about the security, Sam pokes around for any information on the consciousness currently stored in the machine. Failing a way to figure out who the consciousness is, Sam looks for an event log to determine when this consciousness was loaded to the computer, and when and it if has been uploaded to a donor.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 7/9
    Stun Track: 1/11

Post by WuJen Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 am

WuJen, wandering the community center in a bathrobe and still looking somewhat worse for wear, sits down to drink some tea and calls Mushiba again. "Hey, just checking in, are the girls behaving? Do you need anything from us? So long as everything is quiet I will try and make it down in the next day or two, I've a lot to discuss with them, but I'm a little laid up from some recent action to be visiting just this minute. "
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 308jtehMushiba picks up and says, "The girls are fine. No problems from them exactly. All the same, I'd prefer their stay be as short as possible though. Got a lot of young, lonely, single men around in this gang. Could cause some tension if they stick around, if you catch my meaning. It's a headache I don't want to be dealing with so the sooner you get them a real place to go, the better."

Meanwhile the girl from last night is up and looking a lot better. She awkwardly wanders around the community center, not quite sure what to do with herself. When she stumbles across Wujen, she quietly stands there, waiting for him to finish his call.
    Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Nam%20Takamasi
    Sam has no problem accessing the computer once he has the password in hand. The system recognizes his credentials and doesn't send out any countermeasures to stop him. There is an identification file called, "Untitled.brn" that has a bunch of information fields in it that seems designed for archiving. None of the fields have been filled out. Judging by the date info on the file itself, it appears to have been saved yesterday. There's no record in the system for copies made of that or any other file though. Just the time it was last modified.Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Giphy
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:41 pm

WuJen tells Mushiba "Alot of those girls don't have homes to go back to, they were snatched off the streets and previously lived in the caves or similar situations. I'd not have them forced into anything, but if your boys can play nice and everyone is happy with their situation there's no need for anyone to stay single and lonely. On a not unrelated note... How is your community set for skilled people. Those girls have some unique headware, and it's possible we could sell them on using it to learn some useful skills to help them pull their own weight. The ware isn't useful to anyone without an outside piece of equipment, but I know where to get it. "
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Sam messages WuJen:
    >>>>>> I think that Dr. NakaMats may have transferred his consciousness to the woman we brought here.
    >>>>>> I am trying to learn more from the computer.
    >>>>>> There is a dearth of log files.
    >>>>>> See what you can find out from her.
    >>>>>> Here is a journal Dr. NakaMats kept on the computer

Sam forwards the journal text file to WuJen. He also tries to determine the file size of the full brain currently stored on the computer, and calculates the top speed that amount of data could transfer through a cable attached to a DNI.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm

WuJen asks the rescued girl to sit and have some noodles with him at lunch time.

"I wanted to talk with you a bit. First, I want you to understand that you are safe with us. Our interest in this matter was stopping the kidnappings and enslavement of people for the Yamaguchi Yakuza. I am going to ask you to stay for a while, however. "

" Firstly, what would you like to be called? "
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Sam continues poking around the computer, looking for any information that he can find, or for some way of interacting with the consciousness.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:11 am

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 308jtehMushiba says, "I don't think you're properly understanding my meaning. I can't guarantee that what happens between the boys and the girls is what you'd call a 'healthy relationship'. They're human girls. Human Desian girls don't usually willingly go for orks and trolls. And that there's the problem. I'll try and have them keep their paws to themselves, but I ain't promisin nothing."

---

When Wujen asks the woman her name, she says, "Nam. Nam Takamasi. Though it's not so much that I'd like to be called that as that's just what my name is anyway. I'm getting kind of mixed signals out of you though. You say I'm safe here... but you're also saying you want to keep me here. Am I just trading one captor for another?"
    Data transfer speeds are pretty ridiculous, so Sam figures that the brain in the computer could probably be transferred in seconds to external storage. Transferring to and from a brain is probably slower, given that brains aren't designed for that. He's not sure how long that would take without testing it first, but he's guessing a few minutes unless his math is off.

The system isn't really designed to allow for communication with a consciousness stored within it, so if Sam wants to do that, he figures he's going to have to code something up. it'll take some time and he runs the risk of corrupting the source code, but he's pretty certain he can do it.

((computer/software + logic [mental] (16, 1 hour) extended test to program up an interface))
    Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Giphy
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:35 am

WuJen sighs, uncomfortable with the shakey moral ground this situation puts him in. "I'm sorry Nam, It's the nature of the project you were made a subject of. The purpose of your implants was to erase the conciousness of your mind, and replace it with another. So you may indeed be Nam Takimasi, or you may now be Dr. Nakamats. The issue being we want to help Nam Takimasi, as she is innocent of any wrong doing, but we need to make sure at the very least that Dr. Nakamats will not pursue this research and practice of enslaving young girls for prostitution or killing them to sell their bodies to wealthy people looking to be young again. So, we don't want to keep you prisoner but we can't let you go, either. Which leaves us with you are safe, regardless of who you are, but until we can ascertain who that truely is, we can't just let you go free. I realize you may not appreciate the distinction, but at the very least we won't be making unseemly demands or abusing you in any way. We are investigating the system that has been installed in you, and once I've recovered from your rescue I will be able to use magic and hope to be able to be certain of your identity. If you are indeed Nam Takamasi I beg your patience for a time, and if you become Dr. Nakamats I need assurances that these horrendous crimes are at an end and as a scholar I'm interested in seeing certain questions answered. "

In the call to Mushiba:. " I get it, but I try not to judge how people spend their free time. If the guys can behave themselves, and the girls prove more open-minded than most, I'd call it a win. I am hopeful we have this situation pretty much resolved, so they should be able to move along shortly in any case. I just want to make sure the scum that snatched them up in the first place don't find them so easy to abuse a second time. "
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 308jtehHaving already given all the warning he's going to give, Mushiba says his farewells and hangs up.

---

Nam obviously begins to get tensed as Wujen gives his explanation of the situation and says, "I don't know how your magic test works, but how do you know it's accurate? Because I'm feeling like the rest of my life heavily depends on the results of it as you deem them to be. Obviously you don't seem about to just take my word for it that I'm not Dr Nakamats or I could just swear that I am who I say I am and be on my way. So that means I'm stuck hoping to pass this mysterious magic test. And if I somehow fail whatever this magic test of yours is, that puts me in the position of trying to convince you that I am not going to do whatever it is you want me not to do or else... what exactly? You'll lock me up forever? Kill me? What happens to me if that test of yours can't give you an answer?"

Last edited by GameMaster on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:09 pm

WuJen says "It's not so much a test as it is just reading your thoughts. It's not dangerous, though I suppose it could be embarrassing. We are also looking into the technology to see if there is a way to verify how it's been used. Unfortunately Dr. Nakamats doesn't seem to have been much of a man for keeping notes, or we would already know many of the answers we seek."

" If it turns out you are Dr. Nakamats in a new body, you just can't engage in unethical research anymore. Even this line of research, if he had used cloned bodies instead of people pulled off the street, would not have been cause for alarm. Sadly, the Doctor is a monster, with no regard for others beyond how they can further his own ends. Rather than keep you prisoner I'd rather have you watched and allow you to pursue whatever ends please you, as long as that doesn't entail hurting others or engaging in what amounts to slavery and mass multiple murders. "
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Sam gets to work on coding an interface to talk to the brain in the box.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Nam says, "I don't much like the idea of someone poking around in my head. Particularly after having it forcibly poked in already..." as her fingertips run along the datajack port in the side of her head.

"Magic and tech don't mix though, right? What happens if the spell does something to the hardware in here and scrambles my head? Or what happens if whatever machinery that crazy guy put in me just screws with the results of your spell? If you decide you can't completely be sure that I am who I am, what does 'having me watched' mean exactly?"

Meanwhile Sam gets to work on coding an interface with the brain. It will take a lot longer than this conversation (hopefully) lasts...

Last edited by GameMaster on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:31 pm

"The best answer I can give is that I can't know 100%. I can say that the spell doesn't have any adverse effects on people with standard headware of any type. While what you've been given is unusual, part of that is that it is of a very high quality so as to do what it's supposed to do. That usually means it's interaction on magic and your body is minimal. All things considered I have no reason to think the spell will be harmful in any way.

Likewise, I'm not using the spell on your hardware. I'll be reading your normal, natural thoughts. While there is no 100% promise it can't interfere with the spell, I can promise that I'm not on a witch hunt and am not looking for an excuse to do you any harm, and that the spell isn't the only thing we are checking to be sure you are free of the Doctor.

As to watching you, I mean I'd come to visit, like any friend interested in your welfare would. Despite the enormity of what he's done, I don't believe he had malicious intent. He just lacks the moral compass that would guide a normal person away from slavery and murder as an acceptable means to an end. He truely believed the benefit of his research warranted the sacrifice of your lives. He even tried to get some of my friends to undergo the procedure voluntarily, expecting we would be eager to do it. "

WuJen does his best to placate any concerns she may have, and then leaves her to see about other arrangements for the girls. Once he's out of the room, he summons a spirit and orders it to keep watch over the girl from the astral, and to alert him if she tries to leave
    the grounds of the community center or anything attempts to harm her.

That done he returns to bed and leaves his body, traveling to Mushiba's compound. He manifests briefly for Mushiba's benefit, to let him know he's working on getting the girls gone, and then goes to talk to the girls and see what they would like to do about living accommodations.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 am

Nam gives a dubious look at Wujen, clearly not overly convinced by his explanation. None of her concerns appear to be placated and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon.

When Wujen gets to the girls, they don't seem to have a clear idea about what they are going to do. Some of the Jingai men have been eyeing them and the women are very much repulsed by it. They are afraid to be alone around a gang of ork and troll criminals and some are talking about just leaving and seeing if they can find a place with friends or family. Others who don't seem to have that option fear that if they don't keep the Jingai happy that they might be forced to head out on their own and risk falling prey to ghouls.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 pm

WuJen tells the girls "Ok, bottom line... As far as we can tell your headware doesn't put you at any extra risk. We have worked on securing it so you can't easily be turned back into dolls against your will, and we will continue to work on that, or work with you to remove the headware entirely if you wish. No hard timeline to r that exists right now though. Your hardware works as skillwires, and it's function goes beyond that to training skills very quickly that you would retain in the natural way. We are happy to help you get any skillsofts or training you like so you can support yourselves as you see fit.

So, I don't think the Yakuza has a particular interest in you at this time. They can't make use of your headware, and unless any of you are secretly the daughter of a Yakuza boss or politician, I doubt you are in any more danger than anyone else in the city at this point.

So, to your living arrangements. While I think you may be selling the guys here short, it appears you aren't happy here, and they aren't exactly genteel. So, for your comfort and theirs, those of you with friends or family to stay with, we can help get you there. Those of you without... I'm willing to help fund a new place to live for a short time, but you need to consider what you are going to do to support yourself. I didn't go to the trouble of rescuing you from slavery as a Bunraku to see you starve on the street, and you are in the position to learn any skills that interest you. Pick a profession, and let's see about getting you on your feet and out of Mushiba's hair. "
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Momoe TsunaoOne of the women who has a notable scar across her face says, "'Find work?' Just like that. Easier said than done. None of us has a SIN. No SIN, no legal work. Doesn't matter what our skills are. We could be trained nuclear engineers and no one will touch us because it's illegal to employ us."

The other women nod and and murmur in general agreement.

Another woman with short hair says, "The reason we were targeted to begin with is because we don't matter, both socially and legally. As far as the government is concerned, we're just an embarrassing system glitch that needs to be ignored. Look. It's not like we don't appreciate everything you've done for us. We get that you've rescued us at great personal risk and with no payment to speak of. We get that, and we're deeply grateful thankful for that. So I don't want it to sound like we're just complaining for the sake of things. You don't owe us anything, and we know that.

"But the fact of the matter is we don't need skills. We have skills. You don't survive on your own outside of society without developing some useful life skills like sewing and device repair. And there isn't a one of us who would see a minimum wage job like a convenience store or fast food restaurant as beneath them, if that was an option available to us. But for any kind of reputable job, you need a SIN and a bank account. And to get the bank account you need a home address. And to get a home you need a SIN and money and credit. But to get money and credit, you need a job. It's an endless circle of barriers that can only be solved with an extreme profusion of money that we don't have or we wouldn't be here to begin with."

The scarred woman cuts in and says, "What Kana's trying to say is that we were screwed long before we were kidnapped, and a bit of machinery put in our heads isn't going to change that. We already owe you for springing us, and there's not much we can do to repay that. But we definitely can't begin to repay the kind of nuyen that would be needed to get us a life as stable, legal citizens. We were doomed to starve on the street the moment we were born."

Kana nods to the scarred woman and says, "As much as we appreciate and even desperately needed your help, we can't reasonably accept the resources that you would need to provide for us to get on our feet. Thank you for what you have done, but it appears that the streets are our only real option"
    Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Kana Nagasaki

Last edited by GameMaster on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 pm

WuJen says "Not all jobs are legal. It's part of why I chose here as a place to put you up, I'd hoped I could convince both you and them that you could be valued members of this community. No one is happy with that idea, and I apologise for that.

I appreciate the position you are in, I'm one of the only people I know that *does* have a SIN. Ordinarily I'd suggest finding a place among the Yakuza, but I don't feel like that's a good idea.

You could run the Shadows. It's not safe, but develop the right contacts and skills there is nuyen to be made, and with enough nuyen other hurdles can be; overcome.

I suppose we could find you a nice abandoned building somewhere, and you could make whatever life you liked there. I know some other people too, but some of them are likely to literally eat you, they aren't friends. There's also places outside the city we could ask, but they aren't quite as happy to see outsiders.

But whatever we are going to do, staying here isn't really any safer than leaving you with the Yakuza long term. These are good men, but they aren't gentlemen. There's a little room at the community center where I stay, but with so many the conditions in jail might be more roomy. You do not have to decide this minute; or even today. I just wanted to let you know that those of you with a home can go back to it, and for the rest we need to discuss how best to help you. "
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Mission 6d - Mission of Mercy - Page 21 Momoe TsunaoKana says, "No disrespect to you or your profession, but I don't think any of us are cut out for that sort of thing. We have been discussing this since you left us in Nakamats' house. We managed somehow on our own before and if we're together we can somehow look after one another better than we could individually."

The scarred woman says, "We were all nabbed because we were alone and we're not anymore. Yakuza don't come out here. Hardly anyone does really on account of the drones that patrol about. We mostly just need a place that's our own and relatively safe from the figurative and literal ghoulies that run about at night. We talked with some of the old gang members that used to run this place before the trolls took over. Seems they got by scavenging tech around here. Most of us have at least some experience doing that sort of thing before. If we had some tools and a place to work, we could probably get by. Might even scavenge some security systems to keep out the baddies."

Kana nods to the scarred woman and says, "We do not wish to ask any more of you, but tools would go far to help us get started. Ideally we'll need a small workshop and perhaps a cheap cyberdeck to deal with the drones around here. We'll pay you back for them, of course. At least eventually. Either in cash or trade from what we can manage to put together. The old archology had a lot of valuable tech in it so I'm sure we could eventually salvage something worth your while. There still are a lot of buildings in the area, so we can probably find one that isn't too badly worn down and start fixing it up. Then we'll be off to the races, as it were."
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:10 pm

WuJen considers "the tools aren't a problem, but a deck is a little behind my means at the moment. I don't suppose any of you would like to be rid of those implants? We could fence a few and make up the difference. "
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 pm

The women look at one another, none particularly volunteering for Wujen's request. Kana eventually says, "You will have to forgive us, but after the ordeal we have been through, the idea of further brain surgery is not something we particularly look forward to. The implants as they are are not causing any harm and the datajacks will be helpful if we can get our hands on a cyberdeck. If you wish to press the matter, I suppose we owe you as much, but as long as the implant itself poses no real risk, we would rather not subject ourselves to another risky surgery."

The other women nod and mumble in general agreement.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:17 am

WuJen nose "I understand, and I will see what I can do. The tools at the very least are easy enough. I can speak with Mushiba and the surviving Cobras and see if there are any good spots nearby if your goal is to salvage from the arcology. "

WuJen takes his leave of the ladies, and again seeks out Mushiba and any surviving Cobras to ask about anyplace nearby that could be settled, pointing out the benefits of friendly neighbors and potential trading partners.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 am

Mushiba has had his hands full dealing with the fixing up the base, dealing with the Cobras who stayed behind, and moving stuff from the old place while avoiding the Ninseis so he hasn't really had much chance to survey the area for useful abandoned buildings, though there are certainly many to choose from.

The ex-Cobras definitely have a better understanding of the area, particularly what is in and out of the drone patrol areas, which is pretty important if one wants to survive in the area for an extended period of time. One brings a map of the area on his commlink, shows the patrol borders, and points out several buildings that are outside of that area and still in relatively good condition.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:38 pm