Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

4 posters

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!!

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Empty Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!!

Post by GameMaster Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk88/24

Setsuko gives Sun and Pretti a location to meet her at in an hour. Prior to making their way there, Pretti takes a look at the replays from the game. The two members who died were a scout and a banger, while Setsuko was a scout. All told there are 13 members on a team: 4 scouts, 4 bangers, 2 heavies, 1 blaster, 1 medico and 1 outrider.

The scout who died was hiding in a building, trying to get a lay of the land when one of the opposing team's scouts snuck up on him and pushed them out of the window. He was taken completely by surprise and broke his neck on impact. This was considered a legal move and no penalty was incurred by the opposite team.

In the first quarter of the game, the banger was running the ball across the field to score when they were taken down by the opposing team's heavy, a massive troll with a shotgun. The take down was considered legal, but the troll then fired again, killing the banger. This resulted in a kill penalty and the troll was taken out for the quarter.

A similar thing happened to Setsuko in the third quarter of the game. However, the troll only blew off her legs with his second shot. This was also considered a kill penalty and the troll was once again taken out of the game for the rest of the quarter.

Sun and Pretti arrive at the address at the scheduled time. The address turns out to be an abandoned building in the north barrens and at first it seems as though it is the wrong address until Setsuko flags them down and invites them into the building. "Hey guys," she says, "I'm going to be putting you through some drills to see that you're fit enough to compete. Already lost 2 people, 3 if you count the guy I replaced. Don't need to be losing any more. First off, any questions?"
    Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! The-Abandoned-Building
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Pr3tti
    Physical Track: 4/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Empty Re: Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!!

Post by Legendary Sidekick Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Pretti says, “I appreciate that, Setsuko.” Glancing down at her hardware… (Are they temporary legs? Is she cyber? Was she cyber prior to getting the legs blown off?)

…Pretti asks, “How’re you holding up, by the way? The videos were… hard to watch. But I had to know.

“I’m not familiar with this game, but you’re Emiko’s friend. That’s really the difference between me agreeing to this and not. Well… that and I know how it is to cope with the loss of both legs.”
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Empty Re: Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!!

Post by RafV Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Sun's not too comfortable being the only guy in a group of three, so he just nods his heaf a quarter of an inch to Setsuko.

Feeling an awkward silence and folks expecting him to actually talk, he coughs a little, scrapes his throat, and speaks:
    "Anything I can do to help Emiko, I will. I owe her that much."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Given that they were basically blown of, Setsuko's current legs are presumably cyber, but not obviously so like Pretti's. She is able to wear normal clothing over them and looks like a normal person. From the footage of her legs getting blown off, it seems as though they were organic before, but one can assume from her prior level of performance that she was enhanced in the least. Or perhaps an adept.

"I'm doing fine," she says to Pretti, "Still getting used to the new legs, but I think I should be able to play by game day if there's no replacements. Maybe not as well as I did before, but well enough."

She clears her throat and says, "I appreciate you both coming out here. Urban brawl is not for the faint of heart. You will be shot at which means you could easily be maimed or killed in any game. You have to be aggressive to win, yet careful enough to survive. So let's see what you're made of.

"I'll assume you're familiar with the rules of the game, but if that is an assumption I shouldn't be making, be sure to let me know."

She hands a handgun to each of you and says, "The positions that you will be replacing are scout and banger. Each of those positions is given a standard sidearm. The only difference the two of you will have in equipment is how much armor you'll be wearing. Scouts wear light while bangers wear heavier stuff. I'll decide which of you better suits which position by the end of the day."

As she is talking, Setsuko is strapping on typical urban brawl armor. She then says, "Each of you has 12 paint rounds. Red for you," to Emiko, "and blue for you," to Sun.

She paces herself out into the middle of the building and says, "When I blow the whistle, try to shoot me. You have 2 minutes or until you run out of rounds, whichever comes first. At the end, we'll see which of you is the better shot. Ready?"

She blows the whistle and starts running for cover.

((pistol/firearm + agility checks. If you don't have a firearm skill, just roll agility -1. Give me 4 checks each.))
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:17 pm

“Ohhh… just paint? I’ll do my best. You’re gonna wear those safety goggles, right?” Pretti fires away!

Pistol [14]
    4 hits - first check
    5 hits - second
    4 hits - third
    4 hits - fourth

Not blood! Just red paint, Pretti assures herself.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:22 pm

Sun wriggles his finger behind the trigger. There's almost no space for him to move enough to pull the trigger, and aiming is just ridiculously difficult, as the barrel of the gun barely sticks out of his hand.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko has remarkable reflexes and manages to dodge almost every single shot. Pretti manages to tag her once. Sun doesn't even come close as his gun keeps jamming, forcing him to smack the thing, which causes it to misfire and shoot the ceiling. It's a mess.

"Alright, so you aren't the greatest shots," she says, "But at least you got me once. Let's see how fast you are. I'm going to give you each a chance to run from here to the far wall over there. The goal is to do it as fast as you can, without getting shot. I'll be shooting at you along with whoever isn't running."

((3 checks:
    pistols+agility
    reaction+intuition
    agility+running/athletics))

Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Pretti activates her skates for maximum speed and bolts as instructed!

3 hits - React + Int
    4 hits - Pistols
    5 hits - Gymnastics: Run + Tail
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:40 am

Frustrated, Sun kicks the gun, which flies across the room, ricochets off some rebar, flies towards a stray filing cabinet and bounces back to where Sun kicked it. Sun grumbles inaudibly, picks it back up, and does as told: shooting at Pretti, then running himself.

((Defaulting on Agility: 2 hits, no 1s))
    ((Reaction + intuition: 5 hits))
    ((Agility + Athletics: 4 hits))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Pretti goes first and ends up getting pegged several times on the way by Setsuko as she stumbles along through the uneven terrain with her skates on. Sun doesn't hit her even once, but comes kind of close by dumb luck if nothing else. In the end she makes it across in 30.52 seconds, with 15 seconds worth of penalties added to her time for each time she got shot.

Sun goes next. Being a dwarf without bionic legs, he has little chance of outrunning Pretti, but what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in combat intuition, managing to somehow avoid every shot fired at him. It takes him 41.28 seconds, but without the wound penalties, he wins the overall run.

Setsuko says, "Alright good job, you two. Pretti, you're fast, but seem a little inexperienced when it comes to a gunfight. Sun, you weren't as fast, but it was like you had a sixth sense out there for incoming bullets. If I could combine the two of you into one person, I'd have a perfect brawler. As is, we'll just have to practice until game day to make you as sharp as I can. Let's get to work."

She spends the rest of the day running you both through various drills, though she gives plenty of time for either of you to ask questions, if you have them along the way.
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm

“Heh… yeah. About the whole gun thing. I actually keep a non-lethal gun in my purse. Is it… legal? I mean, instead of using the killy kind with killy bullets?”
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "You will be issued a weapon and armor on the day of the game, as well as a special commlink that only allows you contact within your team. All gear is inspected for tampering, game legality and whatnot, so you can only use what you've been given. The sidearms they hand you won't be terribly lethal to anyone in armor unless you're really really lucky with a shot. Honestly, I hardly ever use mine. The heavies, blaster and outrider are the ones you need to look out for. They're the ones who have the more dangerous guns that will blow you to bits if you're not careful."
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 pm

Pretti certainly finds this game very weird, but… Setsuko not using her gun is interesting.

“So what do you do? Try to rush to the goal?” That seems to be what she was doing in that highlight video. “I’m sure that’s easier said than done.”
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:08 am

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "It's a lot of things. First off is teamwork. They call us scouts for a reason. Our job's to find the opposite team's players and call it in. Of course that's a job that's easier said than done seeing as how every game is in a new place and there's no way to know all the nooks and crannies that the other team could be hiding in. Also taking out enemy players, or at least getting them to surrender, makes scoring goals easier, and coordinating all that takes teamwork.

"Second is situational awareness. You gotta keep an eye out for anything that could serve as cover. You can't just sit and hide with the ball after all. You need to keep moving forward or you end up with a freeze penalty.

"Last, you gotta know when to take the risk and when to surrender. No one is legally allowed to shoot you when you surrender, so it's not bad to do so when you see a shotgun in your face. You're out of the play, but you can come right back in next play. You take a major injury and that'll slow you down for the rest of the game. But at the same time, no one ever scored a goal without taking some risk. So, you gotta balance that. You only learn that through experience though."

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:13 am

Hearing he's not allowed to use any weapons, Sun looks at his water-squirting staff and his hands. He then looks at Setsuko. "Am I allowed to use any of these, or are those illegal? And if I'm allowed to use my hands and feet in a fight, are there any restrictions?"
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 am

Pretti notes, “I kick a lot harder than I punch… not that I wanna risk causing an accidental death.” Whether kicking with her talons is allowed is Pretti’s question—which she only asks in punching and kicking is allowed.

—in a game where bullets are legal?!
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 am

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "Yeah, punching and kicking is fine, if you can get close enough to do it. I once sucker punched a troll and knocked him out cold to score a goal. The staff won't be let in though. You can only bring in what gear is given to you to cut down on sneaking in something extra nasty like a hidden grenade or something. The only real restriction to hand to hand fighting is you gotta stop when they're either disabled or surrender. Course in the heat of the moment shit happens, especially with some of the hotheaded folk that tend to play the game. So keep your guard up even if they're not legally able to hit you. Doesn't mean they won't."
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am

“So I take it I can—and should—be ready to dodge an attack if I say I surrender?”

Pretti sinks into a mock defensive stance as Takao Yuudai taught her, though not as dancy since nobody is actually attacking.

“Oh… but if they keep attacking, I’m not gonna be penalized for fake-surrendering, am I?—I mean if I kick a guy in the face for shooting my hand off, for example.” She has her hands raised overhead as if surrendering as she says that.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:02 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "Well, there's refs for a reason. They watch the action with drones. Whether they give you a penalty for defending yourself after surrendering would be up to them. Just keep your hands up so there's no question on the matter. That's the signal that you've surrendered and that you should be ignored by the players."
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 am

"So what keeps players from keeping the ball hidden, raising their hands up, and walking to the goal?"
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "When you surrender, you're out of the game for the rest of the play so it shouldn't happen. But if someone were to do something like that, it'd be an unauthorized ball carrier penalty and the ball would be considered 'dead' which ends the play and possession of the ball goes to the other team. Generally whenever the person who has the ball surrenders, they just turn over possession to the other team and start a new play. Again, the referees are there to enforce the rules and make sure everyone plays by them."

She pauses a moment and says, "I'm beginning to think you two have no clue about the rules of the game. Is that true?"
    Legendary Sidekick
    Legendary Sidekick

Runner Dossier

Post by Legendary Sidekick Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm

“Ha-ha? What gave you that idea?”

Knowing this is a bloodsport and Setsuko’s an athlete, Pretti says, “I trained under a kick-boxer and I get the feeling Sun knows way more about the squared circle than I do. Fights are simple. Your sport’s complicated. Not dissing it—and I read the rules and the origins of the game and all that.

“But there’s a difference between reading a game and experiencing it. In a martial arts match, I know you can tap out when you’re in a choke hold. Your opponent knows a tap means stop—and you kinda trust your opponent to do that. If I didn’t ask, I’d assume hands-up isn’t a thing that my opponent will take as an opportunity to shoot my face off.

“Sounds like that’s such a danger I should expect it. If you hadn’t told us, I’d never know.

“That said,”
    she adds, “the highlight reel did clue me in about how the hotheads are willing to go. And that it’s obvious they were paid to throw the game and weaken your team. It’s obvious the refs don’t take cheating lightly.

“I have another thought, but…”
    She shudders at the image of poor Setsuko getting her legs blown off. “…maybe we just focus on being ready for Game Day, and play detective later.”
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "Well, in every sport there's people who get too much into the heat of the moment and do things against the rules. In a boxing ring, the worst thing that happens is you get another punch to the face. Or maybe someone bites your ear off or something.

"When people are pointing guns in your face, it's always best to err on the side of caution. Usually you'll be fine. Fatalities are actually not all as common as you'd think given what it is we do. But you don't want to be one of the accidental exceptions."

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Sun's face shows a puzzled expression, not even knowing if a play is a round or til half-time or the whole game or til someone of the opposite team catches the ball.
    "I barely understood a word you said, miss Setsuko. Play? Brawler? Scout? Dead balls? We gonna get shot down there?"
    Sun shudders at the thought.
    "Will we be wearing jockstraps to avoid that?"

He turns over at Pretti.
    "I think she's right. Let's leave the theory at a minimum. We just got to do one game, so best to get us ready in a practical sense."
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Mission 6b - Let's get ready to rumble!!! Nqbuk8Setsuko says, "Alright time for the crash course in urban brawl.

"The goal of the game is to take the ball and bring it to the the opposing team's goal."

She opens a locker box that she has sitting nearby and pulls out a soccer-ball sized ball made of dense plastifoam that is painted glow-in-the-dark green. "This is the ball," she continues, "It's pretty much impossible to miss if you have eyes.  The goals are 4 meter wide circles painted  on the ground. If the ball touches the goal a point is scored so long as at least some body part is also touching the ball at the time. This body part need not be attached to a person.

"The field is in a city district somewhere, usually a barrens as those are easiest to clear out. It is three city blocks wide by four city blocks long, the outer edge of which is all open street called the boundary street. No one who is actively playing is allowed outside the boundary street during the game. No one knows where the game will be held until 24 hours before the game.

"The game consists of 4 quarters, each being 30 minutes long. At the beginning of each quarter, the teams are allowed to move their goals to a new position. Those quarters are broken down into plays. A play ends on the following conditions: 5 minutes have passed, a goal is scored, the ball is 'dead', a quarter ends, or one of the teams is wiped out. A team is wiped out if all of their offensive players surrender or are otherwise unable to play. The standing team automatically wins at that point, regardless of score.

"During a play, one team is given possession of the ball and starts from their goal. The ball carrier has 30 seconds to get out of that block and move to an adjacent one. The then have 30 more seconds to get out of one of those adjacent blocks to one of the blocks beyond that. Basically you gotta keep moving towards the opponent's goal and can't sit around hiding with the ball. If you don't get out of those first 2 blocks in 30 seconds, or any block in 60 seconds, the carrier's team is frozen, unable to move until the carrier gets the ball to a new block. You don't want that to happen as it means basically open season against your team mates who'll be stuck standing around while they get shot at unless they surrender.

"The ball is considered 'dead' if it is on the ground for 10 seconds or if the opposing team gets it. The play ends and the opposing team gets to choose to either start the new play from their goal or start the new play from where the ball died, with the opposing team being forced to start in their own goal. The clock stops between plays, giving the teams time to get into position, reload, administer first aid, clear casualties, et cetera. So while the game technically is 2 hours long, realistically between all the clock stops, halftime, and rests between quarters, the game usually lasts around four to six hours.

"That's basically the rules. There's various ways to get penalties but I'll not get too deeply into how they are gotten, just what they mean when you get them. Basically if it feels like you're doing something you shouldn't be doing, you'll probably get a penalty for that. Use some common sense. There's 3 kinds of penalties: wound, kill and freeze. If you get a wound penalty, you can't move for the rest of the play. If you get a kill penalty, you're booted from the game for a quarter. Finally if you get a freeze penalty, the entire team can't move except for the ball carrier.

"So now let's talk positions. There's 13 players on each team: 11 offensive players and 2 defensive ones. Any offensive player may carry the ball, while neither of the defensive ones are ever allowed to do so. In practice, usually it's the scouts or bangers who do most of the ball carrying. The offensive positions are scouts, bangers, heavies, and blasters.

"There's 4 scouts, each one gets light armor and a pistol.

"4 bangers, they get medium armor and a pistol.

"2 heavies, they get a pistol and either an assault rife, SMG or shotgun, their choice.

"1 blaster who gets light armor and a mounted light machine gun.

"The defensive positions are the outrider, and medico.

"The outrider gets light armor, a motorcycle and their choice of a mounted SMG, assault rifle or shotgun. They can carry any other brawler wherever they want to go with the exception of the ball carrier.

"The medico wears bright white heavy armor and carries no weapons, just a medkit. They can't attack, or be attacked unless they're on the outrider's motorcycle.

"And that about wraps it all up, any questions?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:02 am