Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

5 posters

3A - To Heir is Human

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

3A - To Heir is Human - Page 6 Empty Re: 3A - To Heir is Human

Post by GameMaster Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 pm

The woman makes a look like she doesn't quite understand what Sato is talking about when he asks about smoking areas. She says, "With the exception of non-smoking private rooms and the non-smoking sections of our restaurants, everywhere in the hotel is a smoking area."

The elevator requiring his key card to access, Sato swipes his room's key card and tries to get to the roof. The panel flashes red with a message reading, "Access temporarily denied for storm preparation."

An aerial shot of the roof is not difficult to come by. A quick search on the matrix brings one up. There is a small bar, pool and open area there. The usual things you would expect are up there, pool chairs, tables, umbrellas, etc. Though it is hard to tell from a top down satellite image, there appears to be a wall or fence around the perimeter of the roof floor. You can't tell how high it is, but presumably high enough to prevent people from falling after a few too many drinks.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 3/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:24 pm

((will the nightwing have trouble landing there? I had kind of assumed it is VTOL, but if it has to glide in then the fence could be a problem...))
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by winkingchef Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:00 pm

((ah, I should have known we are in 1980's Japan, not today's Japan.  1980's Japan = best Japan))

Sato sends a DNI message to Chougou to request a drone flyby of the roof (subtle!) just to get a few extra details of fence height and the location of any access points - obviously the bar is one, but is there a hut for the elevator maintenance and is there a separate fire stair for outdoor guests?  Is there room to land the glider for a relative novice?

Sato makes mental note of the conference room for later reference ((using his Adept power to capture 36 cubic meters))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:22 pm

((@chougou - Landing would be easy. Taking off again would be more of a problem. It's basically a hang glider with some electronics built into it for extra maneuverability, not VTOL at all. Also it only seats 1, so I'm not really sure what your plan is with it as only one of you would be able to make use of it at a time.

Sato - Actually current Japan is pretty smoker friendly. So long as you don't litter your cigarette butts, you can usually smoke in most areas. Some cities have begun to be a little more restrictive, but even there, restaurants and hotels are usually smoke filled with only specific designated areas for non-smoking (which are usually full of smoke from the smoking area) ))

The roof is the size of the whole building floor, which is plenty to land a glider. Landing it elegantly is a different story, as there are obstacles on the roof such as the pool and bar to deal with. At least the staff seems to be packing up the chairs, tables, lounges and other loose things so it will be easier than normal to land for now, provided you aren't trying to do it in the middle of a typhoon. Once they set everything up again, your best bet for a landing is to just dive into the pool as opposed to trying to navigate around any furniture in the way.

A flyby of the roof shows that the fences are about 10 feet tall with straight vertical bars to make it more difficult for potential climbers to find a foot-hold. It could be scaled of course, provided one is careful not to end their climb with a most certainly fatal swan dive.

Access to the roof (and any other floor for that matter) is primarily by the elevator. There are 2 identical ones adjacent to one another (essentially at the same place). There is also a pair of emergency staircases, but they are locked with one-way doors that set off alarms once opened. The bar doesn't have any other access off the roof than the same elevator everyone else would use.
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:23 pm

Sato sends a DNI message to Chouguo to see if he can determine if the emergency exit doors could be disabled by the grenades we have.

“Torpor and I may have to extract ourselves separately. Torpor through the roof and me through the basement using your plan with the van.”
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:23 pm

((What do you mean by disabling the emergency escape doors? Prevent them from opening, getting past their locks on the wrong side or just keeping the alarms from going off? The locks are analog so no amount of matrix stuff will disable them as they are meant to function even during a catastrophic failure of power. They can easily be opened from the inside by pushing them, but require an analog key on the outside in case of emergency response. The alarm is connected to the matrix so as to quickly alert emergency rescue services, so that could potentially be disabled through some hacking, if desired.

Also, the grenades aren't really for disabling things. They potentially can (particularly with low level electronics), but that's not really their purpose. They lower the firewalls of nearby electronics. If they happen to lower the firewall to 0, the electronic has to reboot, which means it isn't functioning for a few seconds, but then is back to normal. The main purpose is to drop the firewalls of highly secure stuff so you can slip in a lot easier and do whatever matrix malarkey you want to do. If you are having trouble with a maglock, for example, the grenade could help you get past it by lowering it's firewall so you could hack into it easier. ))
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:15 pm

((Thanks, makes total sense.  Sorry for the confusion, I was trying IC to see if Chougou could identify them for us.  

I'm trying to put together a plan to get in and out cleanly, preferably without burning the SINs we no doubt used to check in to the hotel.  I'm hoping the storm will be below the level of the roof (as you mentioned earlier) so we could in theory both fly in on the glider launching from further up the mountain (with Chougou remote-control jumped in to fly it both manned and unmanned).  On the way in, we probably won't be in a hurry - just need to find a blind spot for the rooftop cameras to sit as we get ferried in and then a way past the door, which sounds like we should be able to juice past using a small grenade and Chougou's hacking skills and/or my rudimentary Locksmith skills.  On the way out, we will probably be in a hurry so probably only one person takes the glider (Torpor) and Sato tries to disguise/talk his way out.  

We still need the floorplans and preferably some indication of what/who we are up against inside the penthouse.

Happy to take any suggestions from everyone, but that's the rough idea of what I'm thinking at the present))
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:46 am

Chougou mentions over DNI that if they can find the room that the target is in, he can attempt to send a sewer snake through the plumbing that could possibly deploy a gerbil drone or a kanmushi into the room to get more information ((how feasible would that be?)) so that they won't have to walk in totally blind.

Chougou also asks if Sato can deploy the kanmushi that he is holding somewhere as close as possible to any target and Chougou will sneak around for the night to see what he can learn.

((I guess I was thinking that the Nightwing could be remotely piloted onto the roof for the escape? If that's not feasible then we'll have to re-evaluate our options I suppose. If Chougou was still tiny maybe he could have flown it in manually and been carried in a baby papoose on the way out! Laughing))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am

((Going on the assumption that the vision was accurate, you guys know where the guy is supposed to be, at least in a couple days. Albeit you're not sure if he's there already or supposed to arrive then. There is only one penthouse suite and it takes the entire floor.

As for the practicality of the sewer snake thing, it's possible. It's also just as possible to just have the kanmushi work its way in on its own. It can basically go anywhere a roach can go, which is a lot of places. The only limitation is that you know they do regular bug sweeps so if you plan on keeping in here for an extended period of time, you're pretty sure it will be found))

Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:11 pm

((So maybe using a sewer snake to deploy the kanmushi into the room, and could Chougou then try to run and hide from the bug sweeps? He's got the discrete piloting skill))
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:21 pm

((That’s a brilliant idea...I will assume your Kanmushi can go under water))

Before leaving the conference room area, Sato Asia the woman if he can use the restroom.  While there, he ensures there’s Matrix connectivity and then goes into the stall to get some toilet paper to blow his nose ((IIRC blowing the nose in public is a no-no in Japan)). While there, he subtly drops the Kanmushi crawler in the toilet.

DNI : “Chougou, can you have it crawl up through the pipes a few floors into the penthouse?  It would be good to see if it’s occupied and what sort of security is there.  Don’t risk discovery though - we don’t want to tip them off.”
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

(( not avoiding communication, just not sure what to as at this point. Lol. Wow))
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm

((I’m waiting on the GM to let Choigou and me know if this is possible))
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm

((Lol, I'm not sure if the Kanmushi can swim or survive the water, but I will try to get him to crawl along the top of the sewer lines since most of the water pipes have a slant to them and they aren't usually fully pressurized I imagine even at a busy hotel?? Very Happy ))

If Chougou can get control of the Kanmushi he attempts to have it grasp anything in the toilet bowl and starts to make his way...up?
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

((If my phone can go underwater today, then your “future where magic exists” drone has to be able to...if we are talking physics, the chief issue is the water blocking your wireless signal,...but maybe it’s pilot is smart enough to crawl for 10 feet and then position itself to check in))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 pm

((the kanmushi needs a swim speed to make it on its own w/o getting flushed out to sea, as well as submersible/amphibious mods to be completely submerged without damaging all the electronics. The sewer snake that Chougou initially mentioned for this plan has both of these things and is designed for this sort of thing. If it has a smuggler compartment, the kanmushi could fit in the sewer snake and be protected from the water, otherwise the kanmushi will have to take a non-aquatic route. you could just send the sewer snake though. It's a lot bigger, but can make the trip without issue (other than the general difficulties of pipe navigation).

Since chougou specifically mentioned using the sewer snake and not the kanmushi, I will assume Sato didn't drop the kanmushi into the toilet... ))
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Ok, Chougou will find a toilet as near as possible to the hotel and flushes the sewer snake with a kanmushi installed in the smuggling compartment.
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:08 pm

((Should we have me bring it inside in the faraday pocket...will this make the navigation easier?))

((IMO we should go "out for dinner" and try to meet with Carl. When we return, we can bring in the snake and the Kanmushi...unless you think you can guide the snake up the building from outside))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 pm

((both drones have gecko tips so either can climb up the building. The kanmushi is tiny and less likely to be noticed, since the sewer snake is the size of a snake (it's a small drone) while the kanmushi is insect sized (a micro drone). You could get the sewer snake and send it through the pipes while you sent the kanmushi up the wall. In any case, we can handle that all after heading over to see Carl so lets head over there.))

As it is starting to get close to the meet with Carl, you all decide to head out together to meet near the church. You chat a bit about possible means of access and/or surveillance along the way and eventually make it to the church at around 6. The sun is fairly low in the sky as you spot the smoking silhouette of a cowboy standing near the church grounds, skin covered as always.
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 pm

((Before we go to Carl's can I say that Chougou sent a third Kanmushi up the side of the building and is having it rest in whatever position it is likely safe to hang out at until we get back?))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 pm

((third kanmushi? Where are the other two? As far as I know, there's just the one in Sato's pocket. But yes I have no problem with you sending one up a wall))
    Fuchou 复仇
    Fuchou 复仇

Runner Dossier

Post by Fuchou 复仇 Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:45 pm

((I have 4 altogether, I was going to deploy one with the sewer snake, use the one in Sato's pocket in whatever way possible, and then send the third one up the wall))
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Sato releases the single Kanmushi he has per Chougou’s request. “Perhaps you can scout the roof deck directly and camp out there? It would be good to have eyes on the ground and they may not sweep the closed areas.”

Sato looks around to ensure Carl is alone. If so, he’ll walk up to him, lights a cigarrette and smokes for a few moments. “Tough day pardner?”
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm

((oh, okay. so they haven't been released yet. If you don't have a smuggler compartment in the sewer snake already, you'll have to modify it, but that takes days to do.))

Carl says, "Not yet. But I reckon it don't hurt none to prepare for rain, yeah? A storm's coming and I ain't looking to be getting wet none. It should probably go without saying that I won't be able to take in any more guests for the time being."

He takes a deep drag of his own cigarette and says, "Anyway, I ain't in no trouble yet, but them Cowboys are coming up with a device that'll be a thorn in my side if they get to finishing it. I'm gonna be needing the device, its research notes and anyone who has worked on that project to disappear. I reckon you probably are in contact with the type of folk that might make that happen. From what I hear, its still a few weeks away from a working prototype, so no rush. I'll send along some details once I've got more info on the matter."
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier

Post by winkingchef Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

"Totally understand.  Looks like the cowboys needed a scapegoat and some folks just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Sato takes a long draw of his cigarette and blows out a thin stream of smoke, angled well away from Carl.  He taps off the ash.  After a few more moments, he makes eye contact with Carl.

"I wanted to meet in person so you could hear it from me, man to man.  We screwed up.  Things we have done have brought you into our business.  I need to apologize for that."  

He takes another long draw from his cigarette, and exhales, face pensive.  His eyes stare off into the distance and then return to Carl's.

"We needed a cover to 'disappear' a girl from the cops.  They had hired us to kill her and we found out she didn't deserve it.  We took the easy way out and used an illusion of the ghouls we rescued to make it look like she died running from them.  The cops needed to make a show of something and they seized on that to start this mess.  That's on us.  We owe you."

"Whatever happens, after we finish our current job, we will do what you request.  We owe you at least that much."

Sato expertly flicks the half-finished cigarette into a puddle.  It hisses briefly.  He keeps talking, eyes flicking to the sunset in the distance.  The vestiges of the last puff leave his mouth as he speaks.

"We may have something else to make it up to you.  One of ours, a doctor, has had an encounter with a spirit.  This spirit had reason to give him a 'gift' and he chose to learn a cure for a condition called 'HMHVV III' that you may have some passing knowledge of in your travels.  We don't have all the pieces yet, but we have the formula and we have a partner who probably can put the pieces together."

Sato makes eye contact with Carl again.

"What I'm trying to say is, maybe this will be useful to people you know.  You have my commitment that we will follow through on putting the pieces together and bring it to you.  Then you can make the choice on what to do with it."

Sato extends his hand for a handshake.

"Stay safe, friend."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 am