Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+2
Sam Dekker
winkingchef
6 posters

3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut

GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 Empty Re: 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut

Post by GameMaster Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Sam is unable to read the note as he does not speak either of the languages it is written in. He tries his best to place the queens in a manner that they would not threaten each other. After his first attempt, nothing appears to happen.
    Valacan
    Valacan

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Ichigo Takahashi
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 Empty Re: 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut

Post by Valacan Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Ichigo will start to head to the lab when see what happened to Sam and wil try to get him on comms then l will  go see what he can do. ((Over comms))"sam...sam can you hear me Sam..sam dammit"
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 pm

((oops... I'm going to have to play with this more. I'd rather not just look up the answer (I'm sure I saw it in an AI programming book before.) But don't have time to mess with it at work. In the meantime, though))

Sam frowns at the board and notices the queens that are threatening each other. He hasn't tried using his satlink in the hut yet. He attempts to do a google translate on the note.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm

((it will also be interesting to see if Ichigo's communication comes through the closed door...))
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 7/9
    Stun Track: 1/11

Post by WuJen Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:06 pm

(ooc: I had thought we were using Sam's satlink to get signal. If that's not possible we will manage with pantomime.)

WuJen reads the note.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

(ooc: WuJen speaks Elven, it's on the sheet as Sperithial I think)
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Sam's commlink reads "satellite not found" and Ichigo is unable to connect to him. The wireless signal does reach everyone in the connected rooms though. Sam is pretty sure he needs at least some view of the sky for his uplink to function since it relies on a direct line of sight with the satellite to do its thing.

Ichigo wanders around the lab and sees a variety of potions and ingredients for potion making. Neither the potions nor the ingredients appear labelled. ((what are you specifically looking for?))

((@wujen - Sam used the uplink on his commlink while you guys were outside, you haven't tried since entering as you've had no reason to yet, and in any case you'd need one of your own. Also Sam is locked in the room by himself for the time being))
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:19 pm

((So, I spent a bunch of time with a chess board trying to solve the queen problem. And I wasn't able to.
    I could just google the answer, but that doesn't seem sporting.
    Sam probably actually knows the answer... I could do a matrix games roll or maybe an engineering knowledge roll to lean on his CE degree... but that doesn't seem like much fun, either.
    So, I decided to write a little C++ app. That seems like something Sam would do to solve this problem if he couldn't figure it out himself. Brute force code.))

Sam spends some time fiddling with the queens, but can't find an arrangement that works. He knows that he's seen this problem before, but he just can't remember. So, he writes an app to solve the problem for him. Then, he sits back and waits for it to run (which could take a pretty long time, actually... probably longer than it takes to write the code.)

((I don't think I have a compiler installed anymore, so I couldn't run this to see if it works. I just wrote it up in notepad. I know some of the syntax is off, because my C++ is a bit rusty. For example, I know that I didn't overload the == operator in the Queen class, and then I used it as if I did.
    So, it won't run as is in a compiler. It probably needs a minor amount of debugging. But, as a sort of pseudocode at least, I'm pretty sure the algorithm should work... eventually.))

Code:

using namespace std;
    class Queen
    {
     public:
     int x = 1;
     int y = 1;
    }

int compareDiag(A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H);
    int check(A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H);

int main()
    {
     Queen A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H;
     int a = b = c = d = e = f = g = h = 1;
     int solved = 1;

//for loop cycles through every board iteration by cycling each queen through the rows
     for(a=1; a<=8; a++)
     {while(solved==1)
      A.y=a;
      for(b=1; B<=8; b++)
      {
        B.y=b;
        for(c=1; c<=8; c++)
        {
     C.y=c;
     for(d=1; d<9; d++)
     {
      D.y=d;
      for(e=1; e<9; e++)
      {
        E.y=e;
        for(f=1; f<9; f++)
        {
     F.y=f;
     for(g=1; g<9; g++)
     {
      G.y=g;
      for(h=1; h<9; h++)
      {
        H.y=h;

//check if any piece is on the same row before comparing diagonals
        if(A.y != B.y && A.y != C.y && A.y != D.y && A.y != E.y && A.y != F.y && A.y != G.y && A.y != H.y
     && B.y != C.y && B.y != D.y && B.y != E.y && B.y != F.y && B.y != G.y && B.y != H.y
     && C.y != D.y && C.y != E.y && C.y != F.y && C.y != G.y && C.y != H.y
     && D.y != E.y && D.y != F.y && D.y != G.y && D.y != H.y
     && E.y != F.y && E.y != G.y && E.y != H.y
     && F.y != G.y && F.y != H.y
     && G.y != H.y)
        {
     solved = compareDiag(A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H);}
     }}}}}}}}}
    if (solved==0)
    {cout << A.x << "," << A.y << "\n";
     cout << B.x << "," << B.y << "\n";
     cout << C.x << "," << C.y << "\n";
     cout << D.x << "," << D.y << "\n";
     cout << E.x << "," << E.y << "\n";
     cout << F.x << "," << F.y << "\n";
     cout << G.x << "," << G.y << "\n";
     cout << H.x << "," << H.y << "\n";
    }
    else {cout << "No Solution.";

return 0;
    }

int compareDiag(Queen A, Queen B, Queen C, Queen D, Queen E, Queen F, Queen G, Queen H)
    {
      int correct=0;
      correct = check (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H);
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(B, A, C, D, E, F, G, H);}
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(C, A, B, D, E, F, G, H);}  
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(D, A, B, C, E, F, G, H);}  
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(E, A, B, C, D, F, G, H);}  
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(F, A, B, C, D, E, G, H);}  
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(G, A, B, C, D, E, G, H);}
      if(correct==0) {correct = check(H, A, B, C, D, E, F, G);}

return correct;    
    }

int check(Queen A, Queen B, Queen C, Queen D, Queen E, Queen F, Queen G, Queen H)
    {
      int correct = 0;
      Queen tempA;
      tempA.x = A.x;
      tempA.y = A.y;

//check down right
      while(tempA.x <9 && tempA.y <9 && correct == 0)
      {
        tempA.x++;
        tempA.y++;
        if(tempA==B || tempA==C || tempA==D || tempA==E || tempA==F || tempA==G || tempA==H)
        {correct = 1;}
       }
      tempA.x = A.x;
      tempA.y = A.y;

//check up right
    while( tempA.x < 9 && tempA.y>0 && correct == 0)
    {
      tempA.x++;
      tempA.y--;
    if(tempA==B || tempA==C || tempA==D || tempA==E || tempA==F || tempA==G || tempA==H)
        {correct = 1;}

//check down left
    while(tempA.x >0 && tempA.y>0 && correct==0)
    {
      tempA--;
      tempB--;
        {correct = 1;}
    }

//check up left
    while(tempA.x > 0 && tempA.y < 9 && correct == 0)
    {
      tempA.x--;
      tempA.y++;
        {correct = 1;}
    }

return correct;
    }
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:36 am

(ooc:. If I can't, I can't. I assumed it would be available to all connected to him similar to devices today, unless he didn't want it to be I wasn't sure about anything working in the hut, though just it's apparently wooden roof would do little to block the signal. To be clear, we can or cannot communicate within the hut with people in different rooms?)

(It seems like the Queen's would need to be positioned in a circle spaced similarly to how knights move. Lacking a chess board in front of me or the motivation to draw it out I'm unsure.)

RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Post by RafV Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am

Sam Dekker wrote:((I think the puzzle is going to be some version of place all the queens on the board so that no queen is attacked by any other queen. If that's the puzzle Sam does the following))

Sam places a queen at a8, c7, e6, g5, h1, f2, d3, and b4.
    ((Plotting these out. A8 and H1 align diagonally. Based on that, though, I managed to solve it. Gotta shove the upper half right one tile. That way they won't block the lower half as much. Then it's a matter of checking which ones are still free, and a quick bit of trial-and-error. This should work: B8, D7, F6, H5, C4, A3, G2, E1. Dunno the logic behind the lower half. I just filled up the gaps Razz ))
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:19 am

((Yup. That looks like it works. Don't know why I had so much trouble with it. But, I guess it's nice to do some coding from time to time.))
    Valacan
    Valacan

Runner Dossier

Post by Valacan Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 am

Ichigo is looking to see if can find any of the ingredients for the cure in here being that this is as good of a place to possibly find something of that nature.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Sam's program brute forces through every possible solution. It takes a few minutes, but eventually comes to an answer that seems to satisfy the room. He places the queens in that configuration and hears an audible unlocking sound. Checking the doors, they appear to work again.

Meanwhile Ichigo examines the ingredients. Since they are unlabeled, he is unsure what everything he is looking at is, but can probably manage some experimentation to verify a particular ingredient if he wants... ((pick a specific ingredient you are looking for and give me an alchemy+logic knowledge check. This will take you about 15 minutes to do.))

((Wood will definitely block a satellite link. A heavy rainstorm can even block it. They are completely useless indoors unless the dish itself is outdoors or something because they need a fairly unobstructed line to the satellite or the signal doesn't reach. They have a lot of limitations, which is why they aren't the standard method of signal transmission. After all, if you had a perfect signal that could be always connected all the time anywhere, why wouldn't you use it? The main benefit is that it can be used in remote places with no wireless infrastructure like on a boat, in the wilderness, or as a backup if the power goes down, but you still need a relatively clear view of the sky.

As for communication between your commlinks, they can directly connect to each other without matrix access up to a certain distance, though it seems that when the doors are closed the signal doesn't reach))
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:50 pm

(@Sam - For your ridiculously over thought out solution, take 1 Karma))
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Sam opens the door that he came through, hoping it will lead back to the dining room where Krista was holding it open for him.

He cycles through the rooms that door leads to until he finds the dining room, or until it seems he has run out of locations that it leads to.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Three of the doors do not appear to shift at all, always opening to the same room. Those three doors open to the library, weighting room and sitting room respectively. The last door (which is the one Sam came from), changes as usual. He recognizes the kitchen (where most of everyone is), the servants quarters, and the black cat room. It also connects to three new rooms: a room filled with armor, another filled with green glowing jars containing heads, and third filled with what looks like lead boxes.

The others eventually see the last remaining closed door in the kitchen open up with Sam standing at the other side.
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Not wanting to separate himself from the group again, Sam enters the kitchen and closes the door behind him.

He makes his way back to the dining room and cycles through a side A door until he gets back to the chess room.

"Hold that door," he says to Krista as he enters the chess room.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

(ooc:. I've set up satellite systems. GPS systems talk directly to satellites without issue indoors, though that's only one way. Storms are an issue due to atmospheric ionization. Wood isn't a big deal, you can give them some cover though it will cut down on signal a bit. Not really the point though, as I'd not have expected it to work in the hut on the same logic the local link does not work when the doors are shut.)

Valacan
    Valacan

Runner Dossier

Post by Valacan Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Celestial Leucocyte  

Alchemy+3 logic+3  Valacan carried out 6 launched of one d6 :
    3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 6 , 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 2 , 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 5 , 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 6 , 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 3 , 3B - One flew over the cuckoo hut - Page 12 6
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 pm

From his medical background, Ichigo easily knows that leucocytes are white blood cells so he starts looking for any containers that look like they might contain blood. He comes across five different jars of thick red fluid, each of which appears to be chilled by its container, presumably due to some kind of preservative magic. His medical training never prepared him for identifying celestial blood, but his newly found alchemical knowledge certainly did. Now it's just a matter of doing some testing to see which one (if any) is the blood he is looking for. Celestial blood reacts violently when in contact with "impure beings" such as ghouls and vampires. A drop on such a subject's skin should be enough to identify it as the stuff he's looking for. There happens to be such a subject back in the holding room...
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Checking his notes, Sam realizes he made a mistake, and walked a bunch for no reason.
    "Nevermind, Krista," he says. And he pulls the door closed.
    If nothing crazy happens to him this time in the chess room, he cycles through opening this door until he gets to the room with green glowing jars.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 am

Krista shrugs and doesn't hold to door, not really sure what Sam is up to. Once again Sam is separated from the group as he voluntarily closes the door to the chess room. Luckily, this time the door does not lock. He opens the door until it gets to the room he wants.

A dull green glow illuminates this room. The source of the glow are thousands of jars filled with green goo. At the center of most of which are pickled, severed heads. Some of them are wrapped in bandages, similar to a mummy, though most are just plain, floating there with nothing to do. As Sam glances around, he could swear he sees some sort of movement in the corner of his eye, but whenever he turns to look at whatever it is, all there is to see are jars of severed heads.

A goblin in a maid uniform is currently dusting the various jars with a large feather duster. He doesn't seem to care about Sam at all as he goes about his business.

This room has four doors.
    Valacan
    Valacan

Runner Dossier

Post by Valacan Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:03 am

"Well there he goes again" ((can I look for other Ingredients?))
    Sam Dekker
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 am

Sam looks for a beholder head.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm

((@Ichigo - If you want to spend the time, you can keep looking as long as you like. Just keep telling me what you are looking for and make a check. Also what are you doing with the blood?))

Sam steps into the room, allowing the door to shut, and takes a closer look at the jars. There are hundreds of them, so it takes a while to find the particular head he is looking for. Most are elves and a fair splashing of goblins, but there are some more unusual ones, including a couple of dragons, a demon, a medusa, a couple of humans, a gnome and Sam. He does eventually spot a many-eyed creature in a jar.

((Sam, since you're temporarily cut off, I'm gonna continue with you into another thread for now to avoid confusing the others))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:20 am