Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

Unexploded rocket vs a barrier (rules talk, feel free to ignore if you aren't interested)

GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Unexploded rocket vs a barrier (rules talk, feel free to ignore if you aren't interested)

Post by GameMaster on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm

While hopefully this is not a ruling that will be needed in the near future, I've been talking with folks over how an unexploded rocket would deal with a barrier. Rockets have a minimum range where they won't explode and can be set on a timer or remote detonation to determine when they will blow up. If it is set to explode on impact and has gone past its minimum safety range those rules are clear enough to figure out. But rocket damage only takes into account it exploding, but not if it hits something without exploding.

So what I've decided on is treating it like a ramming attack as far as how much damage it deals which is dependent on the speed and body of the rocket. Speed is easy to hunt down through some google fu at about 270 m per combat turn. That makes it dealing body x 3 damage. I figure a rocket is about as tough as an unarmored rotodrone, so it's body is 4. That means 12 damage.

So if it hits some kind of barrier, that barrier rolls structure+armor to resist that damage. If the remaining damage is more than the structure of the barrier, the shot punches through but reduces the damage by the structure rating.

Now this means your typical physical barrier spell is going to pop in the face of a rocket since the structure and armor is equal to the number of hits you get on the spell. The rocket will simply go right through. However, I like the idea of the wall deflecting the shot a little, so I would figure that into the scatter. Now the way firing a rocket launcher works (or other similar heavy weapons) is that you make a heavy weapons check with a threshold of 3. If you make those 3 hits, the explosive lands where you want it and it does it's boomy goodness. However, if you miss any of those 3 hits, you roll some dice to see where it scatters off. The fewer hits you got, the further it scatters. So I would say that once a rocket pops through a barrier, the attack would lose half the barrier rating's worth of hits, therefore increasing the chance of a scatter as well as the distance.

So the end effect would be it hits the barrier and either keeps going because the shooter was lucky as hell, or ends up hitting another target which may or may not be anywhere near the intended target.

So yeah, its a whole complicated thing, but I like the end result.
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/11

Re: Unexploded rocket vs a barrier (rules talk, feel free to ignore if you aren't interested)

Post by WuJen on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 am

Obviously whatever you say goes.... But I think you are giving a bit too much credit to the rocket on it's body, or we are thinking of very different rockets.

A Rotodrone is the size of a child, and strong enough to carry light machine gun(s), with an active time of around 6 hours.

A rocket fits inside a shoulder lauched tube, can barely carry itself, with an active time of maybe a minute but probably less.  What's more, as ammunition they aren't built to endure much of anything at all beyond being launched.

I mean think... you could mount the rocket launcher into the rotodrone with several rockets in an ammo bin.

At best, the rocket is the size of small drones, and probably a size down from that, unless it's a larger system like you would find mounted on a vehicle.
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

Re: Unexploded rocket vs a barrier (rules talk, feel free to ignore if you aren't interested)

Post by winkingchef on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:20 am

For what it's worth, RPG rounds are deployed to be anti-armor, since a regular old assault rifle works pretty darn good on squishy baddies.  

I once made an entire character optimized around the creation of barrier spells.  Between being manipulation focused, exceptional atttribute Magic, spell focus, fetish, high edge for limit-blowing rolls, he could easily throw 25+ dice (with pre-edge push the limit).  So every cast was at least wood and often concrete quality.

My GM looked it over and then looked at me and said "you can play this character under one condition - he has an evil twin brother with identical skills that opposes the party."

The rest of the players were pretty quick to talk me out of it.
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 am

The warheads are anti-armor, in the case of the anti-vehicle rounds.  This is done with explosive force and shaped charges.  The rocket itself is not much.

Other rockets, like the anti-personnel types, do the same job as the assault rifle, only in a big area all at once.

But on to more interesting shenanigans.  Consider something like Trid Phantasm.  It covers all senses and works on technology.  Can I create an illusion of an obstacle to set it off?  How about the illusion of movement so it thinks it has traveled the 10 meters and arms itself, and then set it off?
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Post by GameMaster on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:07 am

Illusions have no physical component (at least none that I have read anyway) so there is no reason why they would have any effect on a rocket at all. If the rocket is set to go off on impact, they won't have an impact to set them off. If they are set on a timer, well then they go off on the timer and flying through smoke and mirrors won't affect that. The only possible time where it might be affected is when they are triggered through wifi by the operator and that would be a case of the illusion fooling the operator, not the rocket. The rocket wouldn't have been stopped by the illusion, just prematurely detonated by the operator.

There are both anti-vehicular and anti-personnel rockets. Considering that anti-vehicular rockets get a AP of -10 against barriers, I would think it would pierce through most physical barrier spells without a problem.
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am

Illusions don't have a physical component.... except that they do cover the sense of touch.  So passing a rocket through the illusion of a wall should fool the sensor into believing it has hit something in exactly the same way that stabbing someone with an illusionary knife still feels like you have been stabbed, despite no actual damage occurring.

Consider that your basic full sense illusion covers at least the traditional 5: Sight, Hearing, Touch, Taste and Smell.  We actually have more senses than that, like the setup in our inner ears that account for our balance, but at minimum a full sense illusion covers those.  In the case of technology that can need a bit more thought as Sight can range across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, Hearing can go way beyond the frequencies of metahuman hearing, Touch is just weird, and chemical sensors cover both taste and smell just with different mediums.

Illusions don't cover time, so there's no way to do that one.  Creating an illusion of movement is different though.  I'd argue against it myself, as the sensor used to do that is probably an accelerometer type thing so not really based on one of the basic 5 senses, more that inner ear thing.  Impact is clearly in the realm of Touch however.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 am