Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

Mission 2a - What's New Pussycat?

Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 6/10

Re: Mission 2a - What's New Pussycat?

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

"Let's, uh, just try to follow her. To somewhere more private. Then just grab her."

((Sam still has two marks on her deck at this point, and the trace is currently running, right?))
    McThunder

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Oakgu Nobunaka
    Physical Track: 0/14
    Stun Track: 0/10

Post by McThunder on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:51 pm

"Agreed. Potentially too many witnesses on the church."
    ((GM, do we know where she is in the church or just "in the church"?))
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:55 pm

((using your map from a few blocks away, it's accurate to about 10 meters radius. If you are in the church, you can spot her icon exactly. She does not appear to be in a church service as her icon is not in the main hall. The icon is in one of the smaller meeting rooms. Perhaps for a class or something?))
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Okay, so a couple things. If I've got two marks on Akane's deck, then Sam will go for her contacts again. ((I don't know, but Sam would, if it would be better to download them to his deck again before cracking the file, or better to try to crack the file on her deck and then download it or search it on her deck))

He also would like to hack into the church to see if there are any cameras he can use to get eyes on Akane.
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:10 pm

((He needs to enter the same host she is in to access her files, which means either entering the church host or waiting until she leaves it. Since you are about to hack the church host anyway, that shouldn't be an issue.

Up to you if you want to try crack the contacts on her phone or d/l a copy and crack them on your own

As for hacking the church, totally doable, just let me know what mode you are going and whether you are doing hacking on the fly or brute force, how many marks you are going for, etc and then give me your roll))

Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hack the church host in cold sim

S8 F6 D5 A4
    I think I only need one mark to access cameras, right? So only need to go for one. If I need more to access Akane's files, then I'll go for 2 (and ignore the last four dice)
    Also, I'm going to go in silent. (If I don't, then anyone looking around in AR would see my icon, right?)
    Hacking on the fly
    Sam Dekker carried out 15 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 pm

((yep. running silent makes it so they don't see you. note that it puts a -2 penalty on your matrix checks, but that is more than enough successes for you to access the host))

Sam sits down somewhere and plugs into his cyberdeck, slumping unconscious as he sends his avatar into matrix space. He zips down the street, avoiding pop up ads as he goes until he comes to the church host which looks like a lopsided wooden cross with a dead guy nailed to it.

Though the firewall is not particularly tough, it provides more of a challenge than Sam is expecting. Although it is not so much of a challenge that he is unable to access it. He tosses a mark onto the host and enters.

Just before he enters, Akane's icon vanishes and he immediately realizes there are about a couple dozen icons within the host currently running silent. As he does not immediately spot Akane, he assumes that she is one of them. ((matrix perception check to spot her icon))  He also comes across an announcement file that lists events scheduled for the day. There are several events, but only one that is scheduled for this particular time. The listing simply reads: SA meeting. As for cameras, he quickly spots those as well. Peeking among them, he eventually comes across a black and white, no audio feed that is coming from the meeting room where Akane's meat body currently is. Unlike last night, she is much more modestly dressed now with a black overcoat and a scarf wrapped around her fiber optic hair, concealing it from view.
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:11 pm

((I took the -2 on the hack on the fly roll))

MatrixPerception
    Sam Dekker carried out 10 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , , , , , , , ,
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 pm

((How many others are in the room with her? And where is the room? Is it close to the entrance? How many people are likely between the entrance and her room, etc))
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 pm

There are about a couple dozen people in the room with her. Likely the owners of the other silent running icons. It is probably a church policy to do so. The room is down a short hallway, about 10 meters from the entrance. Sam does not immediately spot anyone else in the building.
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 pm

So, what did I get from my matrix perception?
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 pm

((sorry, in the middle of cooking dinner and things got frantic on the other thread))

Sam manages to sift through traffic and spot Akane's icon, despite currently running silent. It is unsurprisingly in the same room of the church as she is.
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:49 pm

((it's not less dangerous to try to decrypt a file on another device? Or more difficult?))

Sam taps in to Akane's mic to give us eyes and ears on her.
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 pm

((no more difficult, I guess more dangerous in that if the file gets deleted, that'll be the original instead of a copy, but as far as the checks involved it is no different))
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I'd like to get a vague idea of what is being said in the room. But after listening in briefly, Sam downloads Akane's contacts again, but this time attempts to decrypt the file before searching it.

And I'm going to spend a point of edge on this... I'm checking the edge FAQ to see the best way to spend edge? It looks like push the limit? I'll give that a try, I guess.

I'm rearranging my deck a little bit more than I would be allowed as one rearrange during initiative. So, lmk if that's not cool

Deck: A7 F7 D5 S4

Hacking + Logic [Attack] v. Protection Rating x 2
    Sam Dekker carried out 20 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 pm

Rule of 6es

Sam Dekker carried out 4 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , ,
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10

Post by winkingchef on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 pm

((looks like you guys have been busy today))

Sato listens in to Sam's chatter about the "SA meeting."

He tries to recall what that could mean - given what he's observed on the train host, his hunch is "Submissives Anonymous," but he's open-minded about it (especially since an addiction would give them leverage).

Local Rumors:

Esoteric Trivia:

If he doesn't think of anything, he'll ask Sam to do a matrix search on "Anonymous" meetings at this church today.
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Sato recognizes the abbreviation as Sexaholics Anonymous. Given where you met her yesterday, she must be 0 days "sober".

Meanwhile Sam listens in on the conversations going on in the meeting and finds their chatter is in keeping with what Sato believes the abbreviation to be. After listening in on some rather private and emotional confessions from the people there, Sam gets to work downloading Akane's contacts and diffusing the data bomb he knows is protecting it due to his last encounter with the file. Since he is expecting it this time, he disarms it with ease.
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Sam sets Jeeves to searching through Akane's contacts for anyone that might be Roku.
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 am

Jeeves browses through the entries and though there are hundreds of contacts here, none are labelled "Rokudenashiko". If she is in there, it must be under another name.
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 am

((Well, I kind of thought that seeing an AI to the task of sorting through contacts would have you're a more sophisticated search than "I don't know... I checked under 'R' and the name wasn't there". But okay, Jeeves failed.))

Sam shares the contact list around to the others.
    "This is Akane's contacts off her deck," he messages over comms. "There's no listing for Rokudenashiko. Presumably Jeeves at least checked for variations, like Roku. Or maybe not. I thought I would get a better report from him, honestly. If anyone has any ideas how to sort through this list, that would be helpful."

Sam, for his part, starts sorting through the list manually. He divides it into obviously male contacts and obviously female contacts and possibly female contacts, he further eliminates contacts who have addresses listed that are not local. And he sorts these remaining contacts in order of frequency of contact.

I don't know what this roll should be. Logic+intuition?

Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 am

Sam also downloads message logs from Akane's deck's messaging app ((I'm looking to download her emails, basically))

And decrypts the file before opening? How do you tell if a file is encrypted/a bomb?

winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10

Post by winkingchef on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am

Sato listens to Sam's description.  
    "Are there a set of names there that are pseudonyms that fit a common theme?  Given their common interests, it's probably sex-related, maybe vaginal or colors (like pink) or art related."

"In any case, it's probably a good idea for me to go in to try to make contact, but could use a bit of patching up first."

((Does anyone have a medkit?  Can I pick up an R6 one from a nearby store?  Have I healed any more stun or physical damage overnight? ))

((just in case, negotiation roll for R6 Medkit (avail 6) - 3 dice for injury mods))
    Sam Dekker

Runner Dossier

Post by Sam Dekker on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 am

GameMaster wrote:((continued from the next day, everyone go ahead and refresh 1 point of edge and all of your stun damage if you have any. If you have any physical damage, roll body x 2 and recover a number of boxes equal to your hits))

((Sam has an R3 medkit (because that's the highest rating that is pocket sized) and a little bit of biotech skill. I would have healed you outside the club, but I didn't think a medkit would be effective healing, essentially, brain damage))
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm

((there is no differentiation of damage type for purposes of first aid, you can make your check. Presumably you are giving him over-the-counter drugs to reduce brain swelling or whatever in the case of this. But yes, as Sam quoted, you have naturally healed a bit. Sam, roll biotech(first aid)+logic+medkit rating. Sato, roll body x 2. ))

Sam slowly sorts through the contacts. There is no obvious variation on Rokudenashiko, but you already know that is an alias and if the pair are friends it is possible that her actual name is being used in the entry. There is no gender entry, so he is just going by name to guess the gender, and many of them only have a contact number with no address. It quickly becomes apparent that this will take some time to whittle down the possibilities. Sam can certainly spend the time on it, but that will distract him from the task of whatever you plan on doing with Akane. The others can go to grab Akane while Sam works on his own, or you can all work on grabbing together and have Sam look through later when he has nothing else to do, or you can just let Akane go and hope Sam finds something useful.

((data bombs are basically the matrix equivalent of traps on a D&D chest. You find them with matrix perception then disarm them with computers+intuition[firewall]))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm