Gilon 3010

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.

+3
RafV
GameMaster
KingFisher
7 posters

A new runner in town

KingFisher
    KingFisher

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

A new runner in town Empty A new runner in town

Post by KingFisher Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Brian,
    Welcome to the shadows.
    Hope you're ready to join in, we'd love to have you with us on this one.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

A new runner in town Empty Re: A new runner in town

Post by GameMaster Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

He'll be joining after we resolve this fight. It shouldn't take too long at the rate we have been going and it will be more natural to the storyline for him to join up for the new mission.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:05 pm

We may even have one more coming soon as well.

I have mentioned this to some of the others but perhaps not everyone (so I hope everyone reads this thread). With such a huge group, things will get bogged down if we all are in the same place at the same time. So what will be happening is that while you are all running in the same campaign world, you won't necessarily be running on the same missions together. You can (usually) communicate to one another through commlink and whatnot in an emergency and you will no doubt meet up with each other between missions (probably at this noodle shop since that seems to have become the de facto place to meet) but generally speaking, each group will be independent and in their own threads.

The way I plan on handling it is that players will be getting job offers from their contacts. Each job will have a certain max number of people that the contact is willing to pay for (somewhere between 3-5, depending on the mission, though there may be the rare special mission where everyone will be needed). The contact will also mention any skills that are vital to the success of the mission (a decker or mage, for example). Whoever wants to take that job can take it, and if no one wants it, that is fine. You are allowed to say no to a job if you don't like it. In a live game the choice is usually given, but if you say no, it's like "oh, well. Guess we aren't doing anything at all. Good game guys!" But since it is PbP, I can adapt quickly enough that a job no one has interest in won't grind the campaign to a halt. So long as you say yes to something, you don't have to feel afraid of turning down jobs.

Also, if any of you have any personal goals you want to pursue, you can always send me a pm and I'll try and set up a job that allows you to both do that, while also including others, and getting paid. For example, we have a lot of magic people, some of you might want to get initiated, so I could make a mission for that while others are off doing some other kind of work.

There are some overarching campaign story goals I have, but I do want this world to be sandboxy enough that you are all able to do what you want to do in it, with your personal characters' goals and backstories playing a real role in the game beyond an interesting starting point.

Still, despite the freedoms you all have to do what you like in the world, remember that this is a cooperative experience. Anything we do should be done so as to include others, not to go off on your own and be a derp. You can have disagreements and arguments, but I will step in hard if players start attacking, sabotaging or otherwise being mean-spirited with one another. Lets keep things fun and the threats external.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sun Dashou
    Physical Track: 0/12
    Stun Track: 6/14

Post by RafV Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

That actually sounds even better than a regular campaign!
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 0/10

Post by winkingchef Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:31 pm

In this case, would you mind if I rebuilt Sato as a bit more of a face?
    If we split into two we should need two.  I will make his concept/flavor the same (adept), maybe just make him an elf and mess with adept powers and skills a bit.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh sure. I don't mind you guys reworking your characters a little bit now. Once we start spending newly earned karma, you'll be locked in though
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm

So everyone knows i have level 4 skillwires and can pick up any missing skills we may need. So if we get sepersted and i need to add a skill we just need to get me some skillsofts.
    KingFisher
    KingFisher

Runner Dossier

Post by KingFisher Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 am

Might be worth having an expert look over the char sheets. I'm currently specced for a little flexibility but it might need to shed some minor skills and beef up the key ones.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:10 pm

Mine ia the very first character I made. Almost made the mistake of ignoring INT... Got alot of feedback from the FB group, but can't exactly ask any more there anymore.
    winkingchef
    winkingchef

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 0/10

Post by winkingchef Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm

I have played for a while (20+ years on and off?) and know 5E well.
    Feel free to send me a description of what you want to do and I’m happy to provide advice and feedback.

My general tips :
    (0) Understand that SR is not D&D. It is about working together but player choices have much more to do with the outcome than dice rolling.
    (1) specialize, don’t generalize : focus on a few complimentary skills that go off of one or at most two attributes. Trying to do too much means you end up doing nothing super well. Main roles are Combat, Magical support, Mateix support, Rigging, infiltrator (social or sneaky) and of course, Face.
    Pick one to be great at and a second to be good at.
    (2) Combat characters should max agility (if you don’t hit, you can’t do damage)
    (3) Combat characters should try for 2-3 initiative passes minimum.
    (4) Edge can cover for a lot of flaws

Basic Chargen advice from the founder of the biggest online SR community : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pNZTfFJPUUxXUzd1sq58_fzC13gmjQnr8H68eTwJMlk

For the more Math Inclined here’s a bit more of a breakdown: https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=25864.0
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Masaru Ryotosuma(WuJen)
    Physical Track: 7/9
    Stun Track: 1/11

Post by WuJen Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Specialize but don't overspecialize.

Some things you can get away with smaller dicepools, particularly anything that isn't an opposed role.  Most things require only one or two hits to be successful, and on such rolls a dicepool of 6 is usually sufficient---odds are 2 hits and a single 1.  Unless you are me, in which case you can count on a Yahtzee of 1's when it's most important.  If it's something truly mundane you want to be good at, buy your pools in multiples of 4 and just trade dice for successes.  That's a conversation with the gamemaster as to what that's good for though.

I don't personally like relying too much on edge to cover weaknesses.  It's a pretty finite resource, and if you are relying on it then it's going to get used up fast.

However, pick a role, and a back up role is excellent advice.  You don't want to be a one trick pony, but you don't want to spread too thin either.

And if you care about ever seeing any karma, never play a full magician.  Just saying.  You need it for learning spells, initiating, using certain abilities, and acquiring gear as well as the stuff everyone else uses it for like raising stats and skills.  In my case I'll also be funneling almost all of it for a while to my Ally Spirit to bring her up to a useful level.  Magic is powerful, but with a full magician you have really big shoes to grow into.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:43 pm

You can trade money for karma or vice versa. You either do good things for people, spending money to gain karma, or pick up a side job, spending karma to gain money.

It takes a week of downtime to do (which you do between runs) and the max you can swap over per run is 5 karma/10,000 nuyen. Useful for magic types who need karma more than cash or people who rely heavily on expensive gear instead of karma (riggers, deckers, samurais with lots of cyberware).
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:48 pm

True, but short of things like naval ships or full on military jet fighters, magic gear is also hands down the most expensive money wise as well.  It's the one soft spot in their magic system IMO.  I've only recently started going through 5e books, but I understand cyberdecks themselves can be pretty pricey too... but you only ever need the one.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 am

That's not true. Considering that you start getting addicted to foci once you have a total force of them higher than your magic rating, you can't really buy all that many of them. And they aren't really all that expensive compared to good cyberware (especially if you are getting the higher grades). You are also more likely to be able to find and actually be able to use it than you are with cyberware. most people dont want to rip used cyberware out of a body and plug it into their own (not to mention cart a body away with them to get it removed without damaging it) unless they are super desperate, but there is no such stigma/difficulty with foci. Trying to save up for a rating 3 control rig (which isn't something you can get at chargen) is 208,000 nuyen for a basic version. Wired reflexes is similarly costly at that rating. There is a ton of bioware that can easily run you in the 100,000 - 200,000 range. On the other hand purchasing a force 6 power focus, which is basically the most expensive purchase a mage will likely make, is about half of that, at 108,000 nuyen. Other foci are way cheaper and you quickly fill up your 6 magic worth of foci. One force 6 sustaining focus (24,000 nuyen) to hold up your increased reflexes spell for you and you have hit that.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 am

Ok, you are right, they have come way down from what they were.

I'd have to go get a dead tree book off my shelf to check 3rd, but I seem to recall a power focus being 90k per Force.

In 4e, they were a mere 25k per Force.

Looking in the 5e book, it seems they have dropped to 18k per Force.

That is a significant improvement, and not one I'd heard much of in all the discontent that people had for 4e and 5e.

I'm looking through Forbidden Arcana and it seems like there are a few qualities to help with spell sustaining issues as well.

I'm kinda curious how the hell they made Grow a Manipulation spell rather than a health spell though.  It hits all the physical stats like an Increase (ability) spell.  I guess if you use the option to actually make the target larger it superficially resembles things like Critterform.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:11 am

winkingchef wrote:I have played for a while (20+ years on and off?) and know 5E well.
    Feel free to send me a description of what you want to do and I’m happy to provide advice and feedback.

My general tips :
    (0) Understand that SR is not D&D.  It is about working together but player choices have much more to do with the outcome than dice rolling.
    (1) specialize, don’t generalize : focus on a few complimentary skills that go off of one or at most two attributes.  Trying to do too much means you end up doing nothing super well.  Main roles are Combat, Magical support, Mateix support, Rigging, infiltrator (social or sneaky) and of course, Face.
    Pick one to be great at and a second to be good at.
    (2) Combat characters should max agility (if you don’t hit, you can’t do damage)
    (3) Combat characters should try for 2-3 initiative passes minimum.
    (4) Edge can cover for a lot of flaws

Basic Chargen advice from the founder of the biggest online SR community : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pNZTfFJPUUxXUzd1sq58_fzC13gmjQnr8H68eTwJMlk

For the more Math Inclined here’s a bit more of a breakdown: https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=25864.0
    What I was aiming for, was a shaolin monk style character, as great at actual martial arts as Bruce Lee was, with added tankiness. He'd want to become a Wuxia-style hero, so I was thinking of having him get become astrally active and gaining a mentor spirit in the long run, but those are things for Sun to grow to.

Another thing I was going for, was him being kind of naive, due to having grown up in a monastery and thus not having any real experience with the shadows. I'm trying to have him grow out of that naivity as he spends more time outside the monastery.

Lastly, he should be awful with tech. He's got huge hands, which makes even commlink use tricky already. The reason he has a rating 2 commlink is cause he always accidentally breaks the cheapest ones.

All in all, I think I succeeded pretty well in it, when keeping in mind I used only the core 5E book. That book is super limited in qualities and adept skills. The downside is, he's got no relevant skills outside of that, with the exception maybe of the bodyguarding one, and even that's not useful in most circumstances.

Something I was kinda surprised about, was the classes. I was always told that, unlike DnD, there were no classes in Shadowrun. There were archetypes of what people most often made and what's recommended, but no actual classes. You could make any character you wanted. If you wanted a decker who'd know a bit of spell slinging and could wear mystic armor while wielding big machine guns, you could. Then I started character creation, and the entire base of it, the priority system, is set up for classes. "If you play a magic user, you get this. If you play an adept, you get that." and all of a sudden, it's classes all around.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 am

Yes and no.

Many people will tell you to strongly specialize things in a way that's just not necessary. Your spell slinging decker isn't optimal, but that won't make him as useless as people seem to think.

Look at my character. I sunk over 20 points into an Ally Spirit for the sake of the concept that I summoned my own hot chick as a girlfriend, kinda like a 6th world Weird Science thing. There are far more efficient and useful uses of 20 karma. Her main usefulness, keeping an eye on things, is replaced by chougou's smallest drone. She's also worth an extra couple of dice when using some magic. There are cheaper ways to do that.

In fact, there is (or at least was in 4e) such a thing as hacker adepts. While you can't use magic in the matrix, you can use it on yourself. Attune Item can be used on a deck, improve/boost attribute works just fine, and the power that improves any active skill can be applied to hacking. Hell, you can also take mystic armor if you want. You don't even have to lose essence as trodes can replace the need for a data Jack.
    KingFisher
    KingFisher

Runner Dossier

Post by KingFisher Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:19 am

I was thinking of removing the points from Etiquette, as the player doesn't know the social behavior of the region so will use charisma to default it.
    Take a point out of Assense and put the free points into boosting Con and Influence to 6.

As for the skills, I have 3 points in Stealth a physical skill and not one I'm going to get a lot of dice on. I was considering moving it to Medical skills as the Mental limit is higher then the physical ones.
    I have a detection spell I could cash in and throw it into making the medical skill a 4.

The team doesn't have a proper medic and could certainly use one.
    What says the team?
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:25 am

Was thinking the same thing, considering Sun's anatomy and fitness knowledge and undoubtedly plentiful experiences in being injured during his training, it would make sense for him to know a bit of first aid. On the other hand, if his hands are too big to properly handle electronics, they probably will be too big for treating wounds as well. So I'm all for Kingfisher being the team's medic!
    Torpor
    Torpor

Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Torpor
    Physical Track: 0 / 10
    Stun Track: 2 / 10

Post by Torpor Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 am

I have some points in biotech for simple stuff and a doc contact. Duh, maybe should call him for some assist on healing.
    But that's up to you entirely.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am

I would never suggest removing all points from stealth. If there is one role that goes well with everything, it's infiltration. It is called SHADOWrun for a reason. Having to default on stealth sucks.

On the other hand, having even a couple of dice in it, backed up with invisibility, a spirits conceal power, decent gear like camoflage or chameleon suits, or even a good distraction... You can go a long way with that. It is an opposed roll, so more dice is always better, but it's such an important skill that you almost need to build a character around not having it, rather than simply hamstringing yourself by simply neglecting it.

He has combined all of the healing skills into Biotech. The good news is that it's rarely an opposed roll, so it's one that a few dice can still be useful. In fact, it's one that I'd suggest buying in multiples of 4, as long term care is about as mundane as it gets. I once played a dedicated medical character, and there's not much point unless you are going to go whole hog and take the supporting knowledge skills and have fun with custom toxins and DMSO.

For a pocket surgeon you can get a link to summon task spirits, and summon them with a skill you know, in this case Biotech. Dice Pool is twice the spirits force, so a decent medkit and a moderate force spirit is just about as good as a hospital stay.

I actually did something similar in 4e with a technomancer. He was a lousy hacker, but he could summon tutor sprites for much the same effect.
    RafV
    RafV

Runner Dossier

Post by RafV Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 am

1. Is a medkit gone after using it once? Cause in the Nintendo and Sega games, they're single use.
    2. How does the "multiples of 4" work?
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:54 am

Medkits need to have their supplies restocked occasionally. The modern ones are functionally little medical drones. They will not only tell you how to diagnose and treat an injury, but if activated can actually do the treating on it's own. If you have a medkit on your person a doctor can treat you remotely. There's a good reason I made my medical character a technomancer and handed out high rating medkits like candy.

The multiples of four work because the game master can allow you to trade four dice in a pool for a single hit. As most tasks only require a single hit to succeed it's ideal for non-critical tasks for which you have, or must spend, plenty of time. For instance, long term medical care. Build/Repair skills get an honorable mention here too, assuming you aren't cooking up a rush job on the fly.

So for instance, someone injured like Torpor, four dice of Biotech (including the linked attribute, so Logic 3 and Biotech 1 would be fine) would insure that assuming adequate supplies and no need to rush he would suffer no undue complications from his wounds until healed, with essentially a bonus die to his recovery checks until the end of time. Or until he healed up. If you roll you could get a faster healing rate, but you might also glitch.
    GameMaster
    GameMaster
    Admin

Runner Dossier

Post by GameMaster Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 am

Whenever you talk to people online about building characters, they only talk about optimal builds where you squeeze every single last bonus out of whatever it is that you do. That isn't completely necessary. There is a lot of room in shadowrun for less than optimal builds that deviate from the archetypes.

I have played mages with low magic priorities who used a handful of spells that didn't require a whole lot of force to do what they need to do. For example, oxygenate, while it technically gives you more dice against poison gases at high force, poison gas is such a rarity that I have pretty much never seen it actually used for that. However at any force, it can be used to breathe underwater and that came in useful more than once. Not to mention that astral projection is always super useful and you can do that even with a magic rating of 1.

High dice don't always mean success. It's also how you play the character. You should probably have at least one thing you are good at, but it doesn't necessarily have to be throwing over 12 dice to be good. 8 or more for most things is usually good enough to get a couple of hits.

1. Is a medkit gone after using it once? Cause in the Nintendo and Sega games, they're single use.
    Not once. It has a number of uses equal to it's rating. But once you use it, instead of replacing the whole medkit (which is rating x 250 nuyen) you refill the supplies (which is just 100 nuyen). Note that rating 4+ medkits are big, bulky, cooler-sized boxes while lower rating ones are little things you can slip in your pocket.

2. How does the "multiples of 4" work?
    If you aren't in a pressured situation, you can purchase successes instead of rolling. It's kind of like the take 10 rule in D&D. You get 1 hit for every multiple of 4 you would have rolled. So if your dice pool was 9, you could buy 2 hits. It's slightly less than average, but sometimes you don't want to risk shitty luck on something that should be simple.
    WuJen
    WuJen

Runner Dossier

Post by WuJen Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Medkit: The medkit includes drug supplies, bandages, tools, and a (talkative) doctor expert system that can advise the user on techniques to handle most typical medical emergencies (including fractures, gunshot wounds, chemical wounds, and poisoning, as well as offering advice for the treating of shock, handling blood loss, and of course performing resuscitations). Add the medkit’s rating to your limit on First Aid tests. A medkit of Rating 3 or lower fits in a pocket; at Rating 4+ it’s a handheld case. The medkit needs to be restocked after every (Rating) uses.

Wireless: The Medkit provides a dice pool bonus equal to its rating to First Aid + Logic tests, or can operate itself with a dice pool of Medkit Rating x 2 and a limit equal to its Rating.

Last edited by GameMaster on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaned up the tags to make it readible)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am