Gilon 3010

Shadowrun game in an alternate, homebrew universe.


    Mingmei university

    Share
    avatar
    KingFisher

    Posts : 129
    Join date : 2018-05-04

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by KingFisher on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm

    KingFisher waits to be safely away from the public before continuing.

    "Noguchi-San we urgently need your help.
    A terrible evil is stalking the streets of the city and we are going to put a stop to it.
    An expert tells us the creature is a Jianshi and that it has reached the jumping stage of its development.
    This renders it supposedly immune to normal weapons, magic and fire. We're told that only Peach wood can effect it at this stages. We're also told that if it continues unchecked it will eventually drain enough qi to become a Ba and that's extremely bad for all of us.
    My companion Sato-San has personally met this creature and can provide eye witness details of its appearance. We come in person to humbly ask for your help. We urgently need the peach wood to fight this evil creature.
    "


    During the way to the office and after the speach feint whispers trickle on the Astral plane.
    The priestess is sending discrete messages through the Astral to the other team.
    Brief little fragments of thought bubble and vanish in the Astral.





    Using both Con and Influence as I can't remember which is the more suitable skill.

    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 am

    ((@winkingchef - yes there is a such thing as astral stealth, but it is more about sneaking around unnoticed while projecting than hiding your aura from assensing, which I suspect is what you want to do. To hide or alter how others perceive your aura, you need to initiate and take the masking metamagic skill. There is also a focus that helps with that, but I think you need to be already able to use masking to make use of the focus. The rules are a little vague on it, but I am pretty sure they intend for them to be used only if you are initiated and have the skill))

    Hiroki takes in Kingfishers words, but does not seem convinced. He says, "There are many real threats to the people of our world, but the jiangshi are a myth; stories told by frightened peasants who did not know what they were seeing at night. They were merely the bodies of the dead being transported at night to their hometowns at night. The bodies would be arranged upright and tied to two long bamboo rods, which would be supported and carried by two men at either end. To the untrained eye, as the bamboo flexed up and down, the remains would appear to be hopping. I do not know who has been feeding you these stories, but there is no truth in them. I am afraid I cannot allow access to our protected trees for such a request."
    avatar
    Sam Dekker

    Posts : 482
    Join date : 2018-07-03

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 6/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by Sam Dekker on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 am

    Having filmed as much footage of the temple as would reasonably be necessary for crime planning, Sam is out of useful things to do. He finds a nice bench and takes a seat. He pulls up a Towers of Hanoi game on his deck an starts a 20 disc game to kill some time.
    avatar
    chougou

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2018-05-04
    Age : 37
    Location : Reno, Nevada

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by chougou on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 am

    Chougou offers to show the footage of the body that they investigated over the commlink to the noodle gang chat if it would help to convince the priest. He gets it ready for displaying.

    Sent from Topic'it App
    avatar
    KingFisher

    Posts : 129
    Join date : 2018-05-04

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by KingFisher on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:06 am

    KingFisher assumes the boys are recording all of this. Sending a small pulse on commslink "record all of this."

    Pausing for a moment then in a calm voice, using every inch of her charm to make her case.

    "Let's go through this slowly so we both fully understand each other.
    So you recognise this seal?"

    Pausing for a moment to use a Trid Phantasm spell to conjure a larger version of her home Temple's seal.

    "This is the Official seal of my home temple. It isn't a copy and it isn't a forgery. So whatever is on the letter comes from someone who thinks my request is certainly worth the effort to use the Official seal.
    Next we move on to the letter."

    Pausing for a moment to make a larger version of this also appear.

    "Now this is Handwritten, so not something a kid with a trode set could create. I disturbed the Miko of my home Temple late last evening to write this. The Miko doesn't write letters of introduction to a fellow Temple because someone asks nicely, even less does she use the Official Seal without an exceptionally good reason.
    She's even helpfully written her name, position and the name of her home temple on it.
    Just to make absolutely certain that what is written on this scroll is the genuine thing. "

    Pausing for a moment to look the priest full in the eye.

    " I just want to fully understand because from where I'm sitting you're directly implying that the Miko of my home temple is an idiot who thinks it's funny to write letters for people with fancy stories to waste your time. Secondly you're prepared to acknowledge that I'm a fellow priest but because I'm not a human and not a man, that I'm a hysterical who doesn't know the difference between a supernatural thing and a cold bowl of noodles.
    Let me be extra clear.
    Is the message you wish me to carry back to my home temple that you believe my Miko is a gullible fool and her agent a muddle headed clot who believes anything people say to her? "

    Pausing for a moment to make her point felt.
    "I bring an official letter of introduction, trideo footage of the thing and an eye witness who saw it.
    But perhaps you're right maybe a  tree is worth more then us.
    So without having seen our evidence, asked us a single question, or having the smallest scrap of professional courtesy.
    Is your full and complete response that we're completely stupid and not worth your time?? "

    She pauses there for a moment.
    She's hoping the boys recorded that, as she's hoping to have a very good recording to prove she made a reasonable case that if it's denied is going to make the Temple look very silly if it accidentally got leaked.
    **
    I'm assuming that carrying an official letter of introduction does imply that the treatment to the holder is by proxy being done to the writer of the letter**

    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 am

    ((the boys have gone into the temple to case the place and not be directly associated with you in case they need to break in, so they probably aren't recording or even aware of the conversation beyond what you say to them through your commlink. Up to Sato if he is recording or not. ))

    Hiroki says, "I understand what you have and Yuumei-san is known to me as she is quite popular with visitors there. However, she is not a particularly high ranked miko so her letter does not offer that much in weight. I do not believe I made any mention of your gender or race, but if you believe I did so accidentally, then I apologize. Such offense was not intentional.

    "Since you are a fellow holywoman I would very happily allow you to study our sacred trees as well as the site in which they reside if that is all you wish to do. However, our trees are carefully maintained because they are among the last of their kind in the world. Needless damage to them, particularly in pursuit of a fairy tale, cannot be allowed. If you have actual proof of this creature's existence, I may reconsider, but you have shown me nothing other than some illusionary puffery and imply that you have shown me both an eye witness and trideo proof while not having actually shown me anything at all."

    ((I am not sure if I missed a post somewhere, and if I did I apologize, but pretty sure the priest hasn't been shown anything but the letter yet))
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:06 am

    ((I assume we are in some back room somewhere away from the average people?  If not, Kingfisher could try to shame the priest in public))

    Satō steps forward.  "Forgive my colleague's outburst - she is passionate about our quest and seeks only to free the people of Izakaya from this malevolent spirit.  Hopefully through her passion, you can see her intentions are truthful, selfless and honorable."  
     
    "Honored priest, your desire to serve the downtrodden people of the sprawl is admirably represented by the gift you have bestowed on the surrounding neighborhood in the form of this sanctuary.  For this reason, we beg your indulgence to listen to our story before forming any opinions.  We believe some solution is possible which balances your temple's needs with those of the people afflicted."

    As he tells his story, Sato shifts to astral and attempts to paint the signature of the Jiangshi
    ((don't know what kind of roll this is, or if something is possible - in any case, he will use descriptive language to describe the aura))

    "I was asked by my uncle to pursue the killer of a member of my family.  She died in the very park that last night's victim died in, but she was SIN-less so not worthy of the news' attention."

    "I spent many nights waiting and finally, after a week of waiting, it returned.  It was too quick for me to save the girl, but I managed to tackle it to the ground as it tried to escape.  It was immune to my weapons and even my decade-long training had not prepared my fists sufficiently to damage it.  It was a terrible thing - terribly fast and eerily silent as it flung me aside like a small child and escaped down the sewer drain.  It wearing robes from ancient times and its skin was green...or maybe it was covered with green tattoos - I was to quickly cast aside to get a good look at it."

    Sato shivers as he recalls the astral signature

    "It had the strongest qi of anything I had ever felt - it's dark power overwhelmed my senses with cloying dark power.  As it skipped away, it left drips of dark energy behind it.  I will never forget it."

    ((pre-edged etiquette roll to push the limit and keep the conversation on track - I will reroll 6's in the post below))

    winkingchef carried out 11 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , , , , , , , , ,
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:07 am

    winkingchef carried out 1 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :

    ((rerolling 6))
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am

    Sato also holds up his commlink to display the footage Chougou's drone's had taken.
    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 pm

    The priest takes a look at the images and says, "It is quite unfortunate for these people, but there is no proof that their deaths were the work of a jianshi, or even that the creature you encountered was one. There are quite a few creatures out there that are similar who peach wood would not be the answer for. Even you, yourself said that you did not get a good look at the assailant. It is possible that it may have been a perfectly normal person with some armor to protect them.

    "Still, these images do look like victims of a creature that preys on qi so let us just take things from there. Vampires and banshees come to mind as creatures that could be mistaken for metahuman which are most definitely real and feed on qi. The former you could use any kind of wood for and the latter I believe requires silver... or was it gold?

    "Still, regardless of the culprit, my point is why do you believe it is specifically a jiangshi?"
    avatar
    chougou

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2018-05-04
    Age : 37
    Location : Reno, Nevada

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by chougou on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 pm

    ((If Chougou isn't within range of the conversation then he would like to wander over try to find Kingfisher and Sato))
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 pm

    Satō inclines his head to indicate his gratitude to the priest for listening further.  
     
    "You are truly a noble defender of the interests of your grove, as is appropriate.  We appreciate your willingness to listen and contribute to the welfare of the people of Mingmei."

    "We have to admit that we are not experts in creatures of this nature, so we did not immediately conclude that it was a Jiangshi.  A matter as serious as this requires more than Matrix searches for ghost stories.  Therefore, we enlisted the aid of an academic expert, Morikami-sensei, the head of Occult Studies at Mingmei University whom you are welcome to reach out to if you wish to garner his expert opinion first-hand.  He is somewhat eccentric, but quite well regarded in matters of this nature."  

    "After examining the evidence and discussing my first-hand experiences, the Professor did seem quite sure that it was a Jiangshi (particularly because of how it jumps and the nature of the victims' deaths).  He was even willing to give us his last remaining ofuda and instructed us how to use them to stun the creature long enough to trap it in a prepared vessel.  He also instructed us on the sealing glyphs necessary to prepare this vessel and also that peach wood was the only way to rid the world of it forever.  Given the clothing indicates this creature was ancient, it is likely to have escaped from a trap of this nature at least once before, so we do need the wood to slay it."

    "I understand that you are circumspect, but it seems to me that there is a preponderance of evidence. The alternative of bringing the creature here, even contained is extremely risky for everyone involved.""

    "Under your greatly skilled care, no doubt the peach tree has prospered.  Perhaps there is some fallen limb or other trifle that we could use to form the stake we need to slay this beast."

    Sato pauses deferentially for Kingfisher to deliver the final argument
    avatar
    Sam Dekker

    Posts : 482
    Join date : 2018-07-03

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 6/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by Sam Dekker on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:47 pm

    Sam pauses his Towers of Hanoi game. He's made 511 perfect moves so far. That's a nine disc game. Still a ways to go. He switches to cold-sim VR and looks for KingFisher's commlink icon. After locating it, he rearranges his deck: S8 F6 D5 A4
    He then hacks in to the commlink
    ((hack on the fly. Logic + Hacking [sleaze]
    Sam Dekker carried out 17 launched of one d6 (Image not informed.) :
    , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm

    ((I hope Sam starts listening in right as I say "A matter as serious as this requires more than Matrix searches for ghost stories..."))
    avatar
    Sam Dekker

    Posts : 482
    Join date : 2018-07-03

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 6/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by Sam Dekker on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 pm

    ((If you're not saying things in the commlink chat youhave with Sam, then Sam is definitely not listening. Nor, I think, could he be. The commlinks aren't an automatic sharing of all the things that characters in other locations are saying/seeing/hearing))
    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm

    Kingfisher's personal commlink mysteriously enters record mode.
    avatar
    Sam Dekker

    Posts : 482
    Join date : 2018-07-03

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Sam Dekker
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 6/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by Sam Dekker on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:29 pm

    Sam goes back to AR, and resumes his Towers of Hanoi game.
    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:14 pm

    Hiroki says to Kingfisher and Sato, "You make a compelling case, but we prune the tree regularly so the trimmings are doubtfully useful as a weapon of any kind. They are simply too small and flimsy, though you are free to take them if you believe they are of use. They are typically discarded anyway.

    "However, to make even a modest weapon, we would have to cut from the branches of the tree itself. Such an act would require permission from the tree spirits that protect this temple or we would anger them greatly. Permission in turn would require a great offering as well as much time spent in negotiation. It is not a light favor that you ask of us, and not one I am completely convinced in attempting to grant besides. May I see the ofuda you mentioned?"
    avatar
    chougou

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2018-05-04
    Age : 37
    Location : Reno, Nevada

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by chougou on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:20 pm

    Chougou wanders about some more, unable to find Kingfisher and Sato but assumes that they are doing ok since he hasn't heard different.
    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:38 pm

    Sato subtley keys on his mic so the others can listen in
    avatar
    GameMaster
    Admin

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2018-04-30
    Age : 36
    Location : Florida

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Tester "Blankman" Runner
    Physical Track: 10/10
    Stun Track: 10/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by GameMaster on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 pm

    Chougou walks out to the last place he saw Kingfisher and Sato: outside the temple by the ticket window. They are still there, chatting with what looks like the ghost of a priest.

    The priest doesn't seem to notice Sato turning on the mic, or at least if he does, he does not seem to react.
    avatar
    chougou

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2018-05-04
    Age : 37
    Location : Reno, Nevada

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by chougou on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

    Chougou walks towards them and if the priest acknowledges him then he bows as low as his little frame will allow and stands by quietly listening respectfully.

    avatar
    winkingchef

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2018-07-13

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Satō
    Physical Track: 1/10
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by winkingchef on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:29 am

    Sato nods curtly in response to the priest's request.

    "Chougou-san, the priest is advising us and would like to see the ofuda you garnered from the University Professor earlier today.  Could you also show him the glyphs Morikami-sensei suggested we carve on the wooden box to entrap the spirit?"

    "It would be good to have a second opinion on their potency before we risk our lives in battle."
    avatar
    chougou

    Posts : 417
    Join date : 2018-05-04
    Age : 37
    Location : Reno, Nevada

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: Chougou
    Physical Track: 0/10
    Stun Track: 0/9

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by chougou on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 am

    Chougou complies ((assuming he had them, it wasn't clear who they were handed to...))

    Sent from Topic'it App
    avatar
    KingFisher

    Posts : 129
    Join date : 2018-05-04

    Runner Dossier
    Name/Alias: KingFisher
    Physical Track: 0/9
    Stun Track: 0/10

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by KingFisher on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 am

    KingFisher clenches her fists ever so slightly and sighs.

    "Sato-San we are wasting our time here. The temple has better things to do then listen to us.
    "

    She slumps her shoulders and sighs in defeat.

    "In two sunrises we go to fight the fiend. Without the proper weapons. We have perhaps a ten percent chance of success. Kami protect us.
    When we fail the fiend will eat our Qi. With several of us being Awakened that's a lot of powerful Qi it can ingest. Become a Ba and make all this pointless. Its first act will be to destroy the only thing that can harm it. Your special peach tree. So with a snap of its wings it will drain the Qi from the tree in a single sip, like a thirsty slaryman drains a little cup of sake after a long day. Then the priests here are but mere edamame for it to nibble on. The spirits are merely dim sum. The Qi of every living thing here will be its green tea.
    When this whole temple is nothing but a dust bowl, the Ba will devour the life from the nearby city. Then drunk on all that life force it might decide to hunt the Astral for Elder spirits for fun. I don't have the energy to keep trying to put fancy words on this. "

    Her head drops to her chest like she's completely drained of energy and tears drop down her face.

    " Sato-San take some time to pray to the Kami. We will need their protection for our next action.We have asked an older brother for aid for something we believed to be the fate of all living things for a hundred miles. Our brother is wiser then us and perhaps is right to ignore our request. I'm too tired of endlessly repeating my wish. It must be a pathetic one indeed to have made so little impact. Chougou inform the others we will have to fight without the Temples aid. Trees mean more then cities. Or so it would appear. "

















    KingFisher weeps like a heartbroken girl, her body heaving from the sorrow. Tears flow  like a stream then a river carving through her make up.
    Black rivulets of mascara flow down her cheeks, her white face paint crumbles and pours like a riverbank melting under the touch of a river in flood.
    The noble priestess surrenders under the weight of her failure.


    **Extended test on 8 checks to persuade priest.
    I don't have a table but I'm pretty sure that's a legendary performance. Eat that JFK. **

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mingmei university

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 pm